Old 15-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Opinicus

Default Peony questions

We received some potted peonies as a gift whose blooms have begun to fade.
There's a picture here http://kanyak.com/stash/peonies030515b.jpg

Can I transplant the tubers into the garden? If so, how and when? What kind
of soil, shade conditions do they like? I don't know what zone we're in but
we live here at http://kanyak.com/stash/foca-m.jpg (38° 40' N - 26° 46' E).

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Old 15-05-2003, 02:56 PM
redclay

Opinicus wrote in message
We received some potted peonies as a gift whose blooms have begun to fade.
There's a picture here http://kanyak.com/stash/peonies030515b.jpg
Can I transplant the tubers into the garden? If so, how and when? What

kind
of soil, shade conditions do they like? I don't know what zone we're in

but
we live here at http://kanyak.com/stash/foca-m.jpg (38° 40' N - 26° 46'

E).
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Yes you can. Plant them in full sun or partial shade(25%) with the tuber
at the exact depth it was in the pot. The peony likes its "eyes" just under
the surface. Plant them now and lightly fertilize with 10-10-10. Peonies
do not need ants on them to bloom; if you see ants on them dust with
Rotenone

Old 16-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Jutta

I beg to differ - I read in several magazines that ants on the upcoming blooms
are extremely important for the development of blooming.

Old 16-05-2003, 04:08 AM
Surfs Up

Ants are only there because of the sticky sap around the bloom bud. They
are harmless. If you are using the peony as a cutting stick upside down in
bucket of water to get rid of ants....works every time.

Old 16-05-2003, 04:44 AM
SAS567

Peonies do not need ants on them to bloom; if you see ants on them dust with
Rotenone

I beg to differ - I read in several magazines that ants on the upcoming
blooms
are extremely important for the development of blooming.

I agree with you. I've read the same thing that ants are needed. I've always
had ants on mine before they open and they are always beautiful.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Old 16-05-2003, 05:44 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Jutta writes:

beg to differ - I read in several magazines that ants on the upcoming blooms
are extremely important for the development of blooming.

The magazines are in error .I have many beautiful peonies. Some had ants on
the buds, most did not. All are in full bloom right now, with or without ants
"help"

redclay wrote:

Peonies
do not need ants on them to bloom; if you see ants on them dust with
Rotenone

Not necessary to kill the ants, they do not harm peonies, nor do they help.

Emilie
NorCal zone 8

Old 16-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Opinicus

redclay wrote:

Can I transplant the tubers into the garden? If so, how and when?

Yes you can. Plant them in full sun or partial shade(25%) with the
tuber at the exact depth it was in the pot.

Suppose I remove everything--dirt and all--from the pot in a single lump and
set that in a suitable spot in a hole just big enough to hold it? Would
that work?

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Old 16-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Ann

"redclay" expounded:

Peonies
do not need ants on them to bloom; if you see ants on them dust with
Rotenone

Why on earth would you do that? The ants aren't necessary, but the
peony attracts them with nectaries, and the ants help protect the bud
from other insects. Killing something just for the sake of killing
them is ridiculous. Those ants aren't doing you any harm. Some
people.....

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 24-05-2003, 09:32 PM

When do I buy peonies? When is the best time to plant them? I have one in my
front yard and in spite of me, it is fantastic. I want to get more but don't
know when to get them.

I just bought a dahlia at the flea market for $5. It is supposed to have a
huge red bloom. I just love the spring!

loony

Old 27-05-2003, 12:21 AM
Ann

expounded:

When do I buy peonies? When is the best time to plant them? I have one in my
front yard and in spite of me, it is fantastic. I want to get more but don't
know when to get them.

If they're in pots, you can buy them right now. Most people get them
in the late summer/fall from the mail order catalogs, bare root.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA