Old 18-05-2003, 12:20 PM
clipster

Default Root ball question

I just purchased a 7 foot coral bark maple. It had a small root ball..about
15 inches in diameter and 8 inches deep. When I was planting the tree, first
the twine broke and then the burlap fell off. I noticed that the tree had
very lttle root system and was mostly in a heavy clay soil. I removed the
crap soil and planted the minimal root system in good soil.

I was surprised to find this tree with such a minimal root system. Normally
I don't even look when I plant balled plants. My question is: Has this tree
been "butchered" when the grower removed it from the ground and then tried
to cover up the problem with a large root ball?

Is it likely that the tree will survive? It doesn't look bad at all at this
point, but with such a little root system is there any chance it might
survive? Is this type of root ball typical from growers?

Email:

--
Richard S. Levine

Old 18-05-2003, 05:56 PM

it all depends where you bought it and what kind of guarantee it had.
fast growing trees can be 7 feet tall and not have much in the way of branching... it
can be shipped bare root, planted and do great. if it looks like a stick even a
leafed out stick, it is most likely going to be fine. garden centers buy many plants
bare root, pot them up (or in burlap) and they are sold before they develop good
roots. you want to help the tree along, get anti-dessicant like cloud cover. spray
that once every couple of weeks and of course keep the tree well watered.
if that tree didnt sell at the garden center it is easier to carry a burlaped tree
over winter. they set them in rows and mulch them. then when they sell them the
following year there is no need to disturb the root ball when planting.
clay is not crap soil. it holds an incredible amount of water and prevents the fine
roots from drying out. I hope you rinsed the clay off ... otherwise you may have
broken some of the fine hair roots that actually take up water.
Ingrid

"clipster" wrote:
I just purchased a 7 foot coral bark maple. It had a small root ball..about
15 inches in diameter and 8 inches deep. When I was planting the tree, first
the twine broke and then the burlap fell off. I noticed that the tree had
very lttle root system and was mostly in a heavy clay soil. I removed the
crap soil and planted the minimal root system in good soil.

I was surprised to find this tree with such a minimal root system. Normally
I don't even look when I plant balled plants. My question is: Has this tree
been "butchered" when the grower removed it from the ground and then tried
to cover up the problem with a large root ball?

Is it likely that the tree will survive? It doesn't look bad at all at this
point, but with such a little root system is there any chance it might
survive? Is this type of root ball typical from growers?

Email:

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 18-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Pam

clipster wrote:

I just purchased a 7 foot coral bark maple. It had a small root ball..about
15 inches in diameter and 8 inches deep. When I was planting the tree, first
the twine broke and then the burlap fell off. I noticed that the tree had
very lttle root system and was mostly in a heavy clay soil. I removed the
crap soil and planted the minimal root system in good soil.

I was surprised to find this tree with such a minimal root system. Normally
I don't even look when I plant balled plants. My question is: Has this tree
been "butchered" when the grower removed it from the ground and then tried
to cover up the problem with a large root ball?

Is it likely that the tree will survive? It doesn't look bad at all at this
point, but with such a little root system is there any chance it might
survive? Is this type of root ball typical from growers?

What you describe is perfectly normal for trees sold balled and burlapped. They
are typically grown in heavy clay soil for a number of reasons - they are easier
to harvest, clay soil contains a lot of nutrients and is moisture retentive, and
if the tree is properly cared for after harvest, that heavy clay protects the
root ball from damage. Root systems resulting from this type of process tend to
be smaller at planting time (as you noticed), but if obained from a quality
grower, usually are quite healthy and will take off quickly.

Larger Japanese maples are often sold this way or in large wooden boxes, seldom
ever by bare root. J. maples in particular are extremely sensitive to root
disturbance - you may have done it a serious disservice by removing the clay. In
the future, if you plant B&B trees or shrubs, leave the clay rootball intact.
Place the rootball - burlap and any ties in place - in the planting hole, site
the tree according to your preferences and then, gently remove all the ties and
fold back the burlap from the top and sides of the rootball making sure the clay
is undisturbed. Backfill and water in well.

For your maple, you might want to consider applying a transplant solution or
other root growth stimulator to counter the effects of the disturbance. Be sure
to pay close attention to watering but don't over do it. Japanese maples are
very susceptible to root pathogens - the damage to the root ball combined with
overwatering could prove fatal.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
ball;ing on Aloha dave weil Roses 3 03-08-2003 07:42 PM
Ball on lawn David Hill United Kingdom 0 16-07-2003 06:05 AM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
Telegraph : Odd ball letter starts maths puzzle mania Tarzan United Kingdom 3 09-02-2003 09:19 AM