Old 19-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Harlon Davis

Default Broken Sprinkler System - HELP!

I recently moved into a new home (built in 1960) and need to replace a
broken sprinkler-head of my in-ground irrigation system. The problem
is that the supply lines in that sprinkler zone are entirely iron, and
the riser to the broken sprinkler-head was completely rusted-out. I
couldn't remove the rusted iron riser from the supply line (it's
rusted in place), so now I've got a hole in that sprinkler zone.

I know the long term solution is to dig-out the supply line and relay
PVC, but that's not an option for me right now. Is there anything I
can do to attach a standard 3/4" PVC riser to the iron supply line, so
I can get the sprinkler system functioning again?
Old 19-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Vox Humana

"Harlon Davis" wrote in message
om...
I recently moved into a new home (built in 1960) and need to replace a
broken sprinkler-head of my in-ground irrigation system. The problem
is that the supply lines in that sprinkler zone are entirely iron, and
the riser to the broken sprinkler-head was completely rusted-out. I
couldn't remove the rusted iron riser from the supply line (it's
rusted in place), so now I've got a hole in that sprinkler zone.

I know the long term solution is to dig-out the supply line and relay
PVC, but that's not an option for me right now. Is there anything I
can do to attach a standard 3/4" PVC riser to the iron supply line, so
I can get the sprinkler system functioning again?

Can't you just screw a new sprinkler head onto the existing iron
(galvanized?) riser?

Old 19-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Kat

"Harlon Davis" wrote in message
om...
I recently moved into a new home (built in 1960) and need to replace a
broken sprinkler-head of my in-ground irrigation system. The problem
is that the supply lines in that sprinkler zone are entirely iron, and
the riser to the broken sprinkler-head was completely rusted-out. I
couldn't remove the rusted iron riser from the supply line (it's
rusted in place), so now I've got a hole in that sprinkler zone.

I know the long term solution is to dig-out the supply line and relay
PVC, but that's not an option for me right now. Is there anything I
can do to attach a standard 3/4" PVC riser to the iron supply line, so
I can get the sprinkler system functioning again?

Most hardware stores have a piece that can at least temporarily connect two
pipes of the same size together, even if the pipes are two different types
of material. They are about 6 inches long, and look like a fat pipe with
screw on caps that have a hole in each end.
It that is to long, you might try using a piece of garden hose and two
clamps to connect the riser and the supply pipe.