Old 04-01-2004, 12:40 AM
the insurance guy

Default HELP! sprinkler system

I have installed a sprinkler system in my backyard and ran into some
problems. I hooked up an anti-siphon valve in the front yard that
goes to three valves. Two of the valves go to the backyard for the
sprinkler system. I have them hooked up to a Rainbird electrical
controller. The problem I have is with the second valve that is set
up for the east portion of the sprinkler heads. With the second valve
I have 11 sprinkler heads and with the third valve I have 10 sprinkler
heads setup, which is on the west side of the backyard. Anyway, all
was well for the first week and then my east set of sprinkler heads,
which is on the second valve, only goes to about half of its "flow
potential", it's as if those sprinkler heads are now not getting
enough pressure for them to run at their greatest potential. Now the
east side of the backyard get flooded near those heads because the
water just shoots out about two feet. I checked the second valve,
valve in question, and opened it up to see if there was any objects
blocking the valve. The valve looked clean and good-to-go. I tested
the sprinkler system again and the same problem occurred. I have
pop-up sprinkler heads that do not go all the way up on this second
valve. I decided, while they were running, to pull the pop-up head on
one of the sprinklers connected to the second valve and they all then
popped up and seem to work correctly. What is going on? Can anyone
help me on this issue?

Thanks, prs1972
Old 04-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Pam - gardengal

If you are using Rainbird components, they will troubleshoot the problem for
you:
http://www.rainbird.com/support.htm

pam - gardengal

om...

Old 04-01-2004, 06:12 PM
JANEW.

Assuming each valve is coming on at different times, sounds like you have
a break somewhere. Also, check each sprinkler heads to see none are broke
or too much water is coming out of any of them. Sometimes the riser nipple
(which attaches the head to the pipe fitting) can have breaks in them too.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:02 PM
FOW

First of all , you have to many heads on one valve station.
I don't put more than maybe 5-6 heads on one valve.
Everything needs the same flow and pressure. I like to start by finding out
my flow in Gallons per minute, from the source. Try 5 gallons per minute to
start with. I like to use 3/4 in. Class 120 pipe to feed the system. Not
Sch. 80 pipe. The class pipe is bigger on the inside for more flow. Flow is
everything, then pressure.Hopefully you have at least 40 -60 PSI at the
source.Buy a cheap pressure gauge at the plumbing supply store and check
this first. Then get a five gallon bucket and see how much flow you have by
filling the bucket . Time how much water goes in the bucket in 1 minute,
from the source.
Should be 4-5 gal. per min.
Also try to turn down the flow from the valve at the stations that have too
much water.There should be a flow control on the valve. Go to a Irrigation
supply house and ask questions. They will help you design a proper sprinkler
sys.. Sounds like you need more valves / stations. Look for names like
Hunter or Irritrol or Hardy, or Richdel. These are good sprinkler parts.
Try this place to see what I mean about all this.
http://www.dripworksusa.com/
Good luck

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On 3 Jan 2004 16:16:33 -0800, (the insurance
guy) wrote:

I have installed a sprinkler system in my backyard and ran into some
problems.

You might try this in alt.home.repair if you don't get suitable
answers here.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:12 PM
HA HA Budys Here

I think the problem is, the water floods out of these heads at the "seal",
which doesn't actually seal until the head is at it's fullest extended
position. There's not enough pressure to get all your heads to pop up and seal.
Fewer heeads on a zone will solve the problem.