Old 21-05-2003, 12:56 AM
pelirojaroja

Default Tiller Opinions? (Sort of OT)

Is it common for servers to drop newsgroup posts? I often see responses to
posts when I read this NG, but often never see the original post other than
the quote. This is my only newsgroup, so I'm not sure. It's kind of
aggravating -- would complaining to my ISP help?

-- Thanks (maybe I'll actually get to read any replies!),
-- pelirojaroja

wrote in message
Hi Jim,

Our server must have dropped the Warning Tiller thread. None the less.

Good
advice. I like the Honda but pricey. I'll likely go with a TB next year as

this
season is nearly over for me. Ariens doesn't make tillers anymore. I've

seen
some used good ones here in the local papers but they go the same day

their up.
Dang it. I don't think they sell BCS's here whatever brand that is. And I

don't
like MTD either nor Yardman. I'll settle for the TB or Honda soon, maybe

this
year...never know. Unless the snow starts first, then it's another Ariens
snowblower.

Also, in the mood to build a Pergola. Hoepfully fast and nice, and easy.

Any
suggestions?

A-

Play4aBuck wrote:

wrote in message
Ariens, Honda, Troy Bilt or MTD? That's the question. I'm thinking

Honda
on a smaller budget. Front tine preferred. Not a mantis. I want to
retill my lawn, so a mid tine? Thanks. Any good or bad experiences?

Yes bad, see my other post "Warning about tiller".

Those Mantis are cute and have a 1/2 dozen attachments, but they cost

alot
and
are plenty of work, more work than a mid front tine.

If it's a one time use go rent (rent a rear tine Troy Built, a bit extra

$
but worth it), but if you have a garden and plan to have a garden in

future
years go buy one. Don't be like me and rent one for 10 years and then
realized you could have bought almost two by now. Plus the past 2-3

years
of rented tillers needed maintenance which the shop did not perform,

belt
tightening and etc. Sure they start right up in the shop, but how do

they
perform in the dirt when you get them home? Plus think of your time and
travel to and from the rental shop.

I like Troy Built! And I think Ariens and Honda make good equipment

too,
but I've not used their tillers. IMO, they are all better than MTD.

Rear
tine is the way to go if $$$ is not an issue.

MTD looks cheap to me, lighter weight metal all over, but I may end up
buying one if I can't find a good used one (another brand) before next
spring. I noticed one at Wal-Mart that had been used and returned. :-(

I really liked the Badger I just bought until I used it in damp soil.

The
tine transmission is gear driven and grease filled but over heated. I
returned it today so now Mennards has a used Badger thanks to me, I feel
bad, but I don't like being screwed either.

I wanted a middle of the road machine, I don't need the best, and I

didn't
want the cheapest, I buy tools/equipment to fit the need. I'm only

going to
use it once or twice a year, so I don't need a Honda motor that will out
live my kids, kids.

Cheers,
Jim

[IMG] code is On

Tiller opinions mgarvie Lawns 5 27-04-2008 11:31 PM
Mini tiller - opinions? grd United Kingdom 5 09-10-2007 02:10 PM
Mantis tiller - opinions please. Roy Forster United Kingdom 3 03-03-2005 11:20 PM
Camera Could Help Sort Fish, Save Stocks BenignVanilla Ponds 0 12-02-2004 11:26 PM
Tiller Opinions? [email protected] Gardening 13 29-05-2003 05:20 AM