Old 21-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Geoff Cashman

Default Muddy area in lawn: rectification?

Greetings,

Of course it's spring in the Northern hemisphere, and with it
for this area of the world (Midwest, US) comes quite a bit of
rain. With the rain comes a muddy, soft area of my lawn that
my lawnmower slithers through, I slide through, and the
mosquitos lay eggs in.

The area in question is roughly oval, 10' x 15'. The yard is
slightly inclined from one side (neighbor to left) to the other
(neighbor to right). I believe water is draining into my yard,
then slowly passing through to the neighbor to my right's yard.
I do not want to increase rate of drainage to my neighbor, as
this would probably incite some not to nice feelings

Opinions on how to rectify this problem? My wife and I are
considering putting a pond there, but I don't think it would
solve the drainage problems if it's a sealed-bottom pool.

I'm not a landscaper. I don't even play one on Usenet
I've got crazy ideas on how to solve this, such as stripping
the lawn in the whole area down a foot, layering in some
crushed stone, and putting soil back on top of it. But,
as I have no experience with such matters, I have no
confidence this would work. I've also thought of putting
a bunch of soggy-soil loving plants there, but the area
only gets about 3-4 hours of sunlight a day, if that.
Soggy soil and not a bunch of light seems a contradiction
for a plant to survive in?

-Geoff

Old 21-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Ron McCurdy

Geoff,

I once installed a "french drain"...much like your idea of rock. Dig a 12"
wide ditch the length of the soggy area and continue the ditch to the curb
or drive (assuming the street is lower). Slope the ditch to the curb or
drive or a good discharge spot. Place 6" of large rock in the bottom of the
ditch, then 4" perforated PVC pipe, then another 6" of rock. Then fill in
the ditch and replace the sod.

My yard just happended to have a storm sewer manhole in it...so, I ran the
4" PVC into the manhole.

Regards,

Old 22-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Timothy

On Wed, 21 May 2003 22:16:35 +0000, Geoff Cashman wrote:

[...]

It would be best to source your water intrustion and to deal with it from
the source. It could be coming for a bad street grade or a mis-directed
downspout(s) from a neighbor. The type of 'seepage' you have sounds a lot
like sheeting. Sheeting is when water travels down through the soil collum
and hits rock/clay. The it travels along the rock/clay and pools or
possibly springs up somewhere lower down the grade.

But no matter how the water got there, you have to figure out how to
remove it. Depending on your grade and access to a drain, your options may
be limited. If you have a drain access to a street or a safe low area out
of the way, then you can do a french drain system. This would mean you
would need to trench from your wet area to your drain area. Generally
about a foot to a foot and a half deep. ***Line your trench with weed
fabric and leave enough fabric to cover a foot or so of gravel and pipe.
Fill with 4 to 6 inches deep with gravel, lay your french tile (holes side
down!!), cover with rock, cover with weed fabric and dirt.

If your not lucky enough to have a drain area access, you can still do
something to lessen the water. You could dig dry wells in the areas with
the most water. Dig holes 2 or 3 feet across and as deep as you can safely
dig them. Fill them with crushed rock and top with dirt. These will fill
during the flood. Hopefuly the area in question would be useable a little
sooner in the season.

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com

Old 24-05-2003, 05:20 AM
J Kolenovsky

Peat bogs are efficient water reduction agents and can support shade
oriented plants:

http://www.plantideas.com/bog/index.html
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/desig...rgarden/8.html
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/bogs.html
http://www.plantanswers.com/bog.htm
http://splash.metrokc.gov/wlr/pi/wetlands.htm

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Geoff Cashman wrote:
=

Greetings,
=

[...]

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal webpag=
es

[IMG] code is On

Muddy Lawn Sally Lawns 12 16-12-2006 02:37 PM
Water logged muddy lawn wannabgardener Lawns 2 08-12-2005 03:12 AM
Muddy Water Steve and Lisa Ponds 13 21-04-2004 01:09 PM
sunny winter day, muddy fingers and 1026 bulbs later............ madgardener Gardening 8 18-12-2003 11:32 PM
sunny days and muddy fingers post madgardener Gardening 0 17-12-2003 02:12 AM