Old 13-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Steve and Lisa

Default Muddy Water

We just put in a new pond Saturday. The past two days it's been raining and
silt had gotten into the pond. (We put stones around it and didn't even
think to rinse them all off). Will it all settle (still raining as of the
moment) or will we have to do something else to clear it all up.

Lisa

Old 14-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Hi Lisa,

Unless it is colloidal, it will settle. If you have a filter, it will take
it out. If you have lots of fish, they may stir it up. If it is raining,
that may keep it stirred.

Take a look at any natural ponds around your place. If their dirt settles,
yours will!

When someone gets mud in our pond, it takes a bit to settle, but does.

Jim

Others may have 'speed it up' ideas.

Old 14-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Mosfunland

Right now I am looking out at an empty pond....or it wassss empty until this
area got drenched the last couple days......My son and I had our work cut out
for us, emptying a couple years worth of pinecones,needles etc. out. It is now
filling back up with rain water....and pine needles....and pine cones.
Anyway, it is an endless cycle, and things settle out eventually. If "stuff"
is still floating and drives you nuts you can always flood it out....

Good luck
Maureen
Old 15-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
We just put in a new pond Saturday. The past two days it's been raining

and
silt had gotten into the pond. (We put stones around it and didn't even
think to rinse them all off). Will it all settle (still raining as of the
moment) or will we have to do something else to clear it all up.

When it comes to ponds, the one topic that I am an expert on is Mud in your
pond. Anyone here will tell you, no one knows mud like I know mud. My pond
was opaque and orange for months after installation due to mud/clay I
knocked in as I was building it, plus runoff issues.

I tried...water changes, dense foam filtration, straw, lime, etc. Nothing
worked really well. The best solution I found...was LEAVE THE DAMN POND
ALONE!!! Many people told me to try this, but I had much difficulty in doing
so. When I finally did it, the pond cleared perfectly in just a couple of
weeks. I periodically try to remove some of the stuff that has collected on
the bottom in order to slowly remove it from the pond, but even to this day,
when I get in there and work with the plants, I still stir it up, and cloud
my pond for days.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 17-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Steve and Lisa

We'll you are all right. It's clearing on it's own, still murky, but can now
see the ledges and fish swimming. Last night the largest of the bullfrogs
(from tadpoles last summer) was floating on the top .....hate to say it but
it looks really cute....I know they can be destructive....but so far too
little to be a problem.

Getting some plants this weekend.....any suggestions? (We have Lily Blooms
here in North Canton Ohio just about 5 minutes from our house.....they are
also online, but the store is located http://www.lilyblooms.com/)

btw BV....when I read your account of muddy water could've just hugged you,
made me feel not such a bad pond owner if one of the regulars had a problem
with mud.

Lisa

Old 17-04-2004, 03:34 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in message
snip

btw BV....when I read your account of muddy water could've just hugged

you,
made me feel not such a bad pond owner if one of the regulars had a

problem
with mud.

snip

In My Best Austin Powers Voice
Yeah baby, shall we pond now, or pond later? Grrr...

Old 17-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Steve and Lisa

LOL! That makes me think of when I first married my English hubby 5.5 years
ago, my then 8 year old son and his friends would constantly ask him to say
"yeah baby, yeah" from Austin Powers.....and how they would laugh ....poor
hubby tired of this quickly.

Lisa
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Steve and Lisa" wrote in

message
snip

Old 21-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Steve and Lisa

Yipee........it's clear.......you were right....leave it alone and it'll
settle on it's own!

Lisa

Water logged muddy lawn wannabgardener Lawns 2 08-12-2005 03:12 AM
Muddy Pond Water Cheryl Ponds 2 04-09-2005 01:41 PM
Added some new pond plants but water turned all muddy :-( ... Nick-S Ponds 11 15-06-2005 04:47 AM
sunny winter day, muddy fingers and 1026 bulbs later............ madgardener Gardening 8 18-12-2003 11:32 PM
Muddy area in lawn: rectification? Geoff Cashman Gardening 3 24-05-2003 05:20 AM