Old 24-05-2003, 07:44 AM
Dee

Default gravel

I need to gravel over a lawn at the front of the house. Do I have to remove
the turf or can I just cover with weed inhibitor material and then tip the
gravel on?
thanks for any advice

Old 24-05-2003, 10:44 AM
janet.bennett

I gravelled a small area of my front garden a couple of years ago. The
lawn, if you could call it that, was full of weeds on a clay soil, so there
was no need to take up the turf. Used weed killer then laid down a porus
membrane, then covered in gravel, planted a few low growing plants.

Old 24-05-2003, 05:56 PM

we took up the "sod" mostly weeds so we could level the area well and then we set
gravel pavers in a design, so had to dig those in first, remove, put down the ground
cover and then put down the gravel. turned out spectacularly. Ingrid

"Dee" wrote:

I need to gravel over a lawn at the front of the house. Do I have to remove
the turf or can I just cover with weed inhibitor material and then tip the
gravel on?
thanks for any advice

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 26-05-2003, 01:08 PM
MOLLOYRO

Could you please tell me what a 'gravel paver' is? Thanks, Rosie

Old 01-06-2003, 07:44 PM
AWM

"Dee" wrote in message
I need to gravel over a lawn at the front of the house. Do I have to

remove
the turf or can I just cover with weed inhibitor material and then tip the
gravel on?
thanks for any advice

Depends on what you want to do with it - for just low maintenance kill the
weeds with glycophosate type weed killer, follow up with sodium chlorate
type about 3 weeks later then, level the area (a thin layer of sand helps
with this), cover it with a weed proof porus membrane or even better just
old carpet, ---- you can use polyethene but you will need to leave big
drainage gaps or slope it to allow run off to avoid it becoming a pond.
The weed proof membrane also allows you to get away with less gravel.

On some of my ground I have used an old painter disposable dust sheet
covered by forrest bark its worked a treat for 3 years now on other paths I
have old carpet under red chips.

However if by chance you want to run a car on to it you need 2 to 3 inches
of compacted "Type 2" hard core below the gravel particularly on a clay or
lght sandy soil..

Old 05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Tom

Comments about attempting the reverse?

Apparently the previous owner of my property loved decorative stone.
In a significant portion of what is now my lawn, if you can call it
that, he had put in stone. It's basically lots of weeds, a little
grass, growing over the stone. I can't get a spade into the ground and
when I finally work it up I find lots of those white stones. I want
to put in a lawn.

What's the best way to proceed? Digging up the stone is long, back
breaking work. Will spreading 2-3 inches of top soil over the
existing area and seeding work? Is there a better way?

[IMG] code is On

Gravel Amount - Gravel Koi-Lo Ponds 7 08-06-2006 07:12 AM
Gravel or no gravel Barry Ponds 3 18-09-2003 12:12 AM
Coarse gravel driveway Ron Kelly Australia 0 30-03-2003 12:56 AM
Changing gravel "on the fly" John Worfin Freshwater Aquaria Plants 26 24-02-2003 02:37 PM
substrate gravel too coarse? triathlon Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 15-02-2003 04:31 PM