Old 24-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Chuck Fomsky

Default Ignoramus needs help with trees.

Hello,

I am fairly ignorant about gardening...I water and feed and it grows.

My concern is for several of the trees on my property. They have
developed some type of disease, a damp rust-colored splotch on the
trunk, usually around the site of an old wound.

Naturally, I have no idea what kind of trees they are, but they grow
fast and provide shade. I tried to use one of the online tree
identifiers and it came up with "Elm"--but it mentioned a fruit, and
I've never seen these trees develop any fruit.

I'm in Southern California. Here is a link to some photos:

http://photos.yahoo.com/flashfyre_2000

....folder "tree_disease".

If some kind soul could take a look at these pictures and provide some
words of wisdom I would appreciate that very much. I can take some
additional pictures if necessary.

Thank You,
FF

Old 24-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Babberney

On Sat, 24 May 2003 10:26:56 -0700, Chuck Fomsky
wrote:

[...]

This is, in fact an elm, hard to say which one from the photo . . .
maybe slippery elm? Anyway, the cause is probably elm wetwood
(http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...s/wetwood.html)
and there isn't much you can or should do about it. It isn't very
pretty, stinks a little, but doesn't do much real harm.

Keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html