Old 24-05-2003, 11:32 PM
BillC

Default Help! There's something wrong with my Peonies!!

I have NO idea what's wrong with them! Is this insects, mold, or
sickness?

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/peon..._problem_1.jpg

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/peon..._problem_2.jpg

The all regrew fine, the problem started right after the leaves
started to turn green. They are all budding. I fertilize with Osmocote
and Algoflash.

The main thing I want to know of course is: WHAT CAN I DO TO TREAT
THIS?

Old 25-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Pat Kiewicz

BillC said:

I have NO idea what's wrong with them! Is this insects, mold, or
sickness?

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/peon..._problem_1.jpg

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/peon..._problem_2.jpg

The all regrew fine, the problem started right after the leaves
started to turn green. They are all budding. I fertilize with Osmocote
and Algoflash.

The main thing I want to know of course is: WHAT CAN I DO TO TREAT
THIS?

Well, it doesn't look exactly like botrytis blight (the most typical disease
of peonies) but I don't know if your pictures are good enough to rule it
out completely. It certainly looks like some form of fungal or bacterial
disease.

Here are a couple of links on botrytis:

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/focus/per_paeona.html
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdise...2/450-602.html

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to collect a sample and submit
it for diagnosis at your state extension service (assuming you're in the
US).

With peonies, the most critical care is in removing all foliage in the autumn,
and cutting away any diseased or spotted foliage during the growin season.
*Discard* rather than compost the old and diseases foliage.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 25-05-2003, 01:44 AM
Beecrofter

BillC wrote in message . ..
I have NO idea what's wrong with them! Is this insects, mold, or
sickness?

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/peon..._problem_1.jpg

http://ingsoc.crappyhosting.com/peon..._problem_2.jpg

The all regrew fine, the problem started right after the leaves
started to turn green. They are all budding. I fertilize with Osmocote
and Algoflash.

The main thing I want to know of course is: WHAT CAN I DO TO TREAT
THIS?

From the looks of the foliage my guess would be anthracnose, however
it could very well be botrytis which is similar. Pretty much the
damage is done allready.
Those wet leaves are not a good thing, these diseases are far more
common in wet springs.
Old 25-05-2003, 04:20 PM
NAearthMOM

are far more
common in wet springs.

Same ailment here. PLAnted a new peony (my first and only) in the fall.

Will the plant survive? I have removed the brownish parts. Thanks
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"