Old 29-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Dan

Default Lilacs in the south?

Will Lilac bushes grow down south (zone 8), in NW Fla? I have heard yes, no
way, maybe! Has anyone had any luck growing them in this area? They are
wife's favorite plant and I would love to buy some for her for her birthday,
but don't want to waste the money if they won't grow here. Thanks for any
help!!

Dan

Old 29-05-2003, 08:32 PM
jc

"Dan" wrote in message
Will Lilac bushes grow down south (zone 8), in NW Fla? I have heard

yes,
no
way, maybe! Has anyone had any luck growing them in this area? They

are
wife's favorite plant and I would love to buy some for her for her

birthday,
but don't want to waste the money if they won't grow here. Thanks

for any
help!!

Dan

Persian lilac, Syringa persica, grows and flowers in Phoenix AZ (Zone
9). Not as showy as the French lilacs but still a nice bush with
smaller flowers. - Olin

Old 29-05-2003, 10:20 PM
animaux

No. They require a certain amount of chill hours. Instead we use Texas
mountain laurel or crape myrtle.

Old 30-05-2003, 01:32 AM
V_coerulea

The Persian Lilac also does very well in southern South Carolina. It grows
maybe 6' tall with wonderfully fragrant flowers. In our somewhat sandy soil,
it'll spread about as far as you let it.

Old 30-05-2003, 04:08 PM
gregpresley

I never saw any lilacs in my years in Tallahassee. However, butterfly bush
(buddlei davidii)which is called summer lilac,grows there very well indeed.
It comes in some of the lilac colors - lavender, deep purple, pale blue,
white - and is very fragrant. However, it doesn't have that true "lilac"
fragrance.

Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Dan"
writes:

Will Lilac bushes grow down south (zone 8), in NW Fla? I have heard yes, no
way, maybe! Has anyone had any luck growing them in this area? They are
wife's favorite plant and I would love to buy some for her for her birthday,
but don't want to waste the money if they won't grow here. Thanks for any
help!!

Dan

I have had
good luck here in Northern California zone 8, with Persian Lilac also.
If you can find the Descanso Hybrids, (grown for So Calif) they might
also do OK. Lavender Lady, Blue Skies, Chiffon, Forrest K Smith,
Sylvan Beauty and White Angel are some of them..
The Chinese Lilac, a hybrid between vulgaris and persica, would be
a good candidate also.

Good Luck
Emilie

[IMG] code is On

lilacs & flowering bushy things Arwen Long North Carolina 5 14-10-2003 08:39 PM
Do lilacs grow here? Elizabeth North Carolina 6 29-05-2003 05:23 AM
lilacs & flowering bushy things Arwen Long North Carolina 4 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Lilacs Evan Wood Gardening 12 11-04-2003 05:20 PM
Lilacs-Atlanta Nina Salkin Gardening 9 07-02-2003 09:53 PM