Old 30-05-2003, 05:32 PM
animaux

Default Compost tea explanation

This garden center is located in Central Texas and far as I know, the only place
here or anywhere making aerobic compost leachate (tea). I get their
e-newsletter and this is the most recent:

Summer is upon us, along with the heat. Check out this Saturday’s class (May
31st), which is a talk about the Submatic Drip Watering System. Drip
systems are a very efficient way to water as we continue to get hot, dry
days.

Cross your fingers, we may have fresh brewed compost tea available this
Saturday (this is not the same product as Compost Tea from Erath Earth that
we sell for fire ant control.) Fresh compost tea is full of life and must
be used within 24 hours of purchase. Since we are just getting the brewer
up and running, please call to make sure it is ready for sale before you
make a special trip out here. Currently we do not have containers available
so you will need to bring a 1 gallon milk jug or other clean container. You
may get up to one gallon free from this first batch while supply lasts. If
you cannot wait to further your knowledge on wonders of compost tea, check
out Elaine Ingham’s site (the soil food web Guru) at www.soilfoodweb.com
look under Research/Resources.

What are the potential benefits of compost tea?
Compost tea provides:
Direct Nutrition
A source of foliar and soil organic nutrients.
Chelated micronutrients for easy plant absorption
Nutrients in a biologically available form for both plant and microbial
uptake
Microbial Functions
compete with disease causing microbes
degrade toxic pesticides and other chemicals
produce plant growth hormones
mineralize plant available nutrients
fix nitrogen
plant surfaces are occupied by beneficial microbes leaving no room for
pathogens to infect the plant (squatters rights)
Compost tea will help to create a balanced soil foodweb.

A balanced Soil Foodweb will:

1.Suppress disease-causing and pest organisms
2. Improve the nutritional quality of the plant.
3. Produce good soil structure, improving water infiltration, oxygen
diffusion, and water-holding capacity.
4. Retain nitrogen and other nutrients such as calcium, iron,
potassium, phosphorus, etc.
5.Make nutrients available for plant growth at the times plants require
at the rates plants require.
6.Decompose plant residues rapidly
7.Reduce worker exposure to potentially harmful chemicals
8.Produce hormones that help plants grow.

ON SALE IN THE NURSERY (May 31st through June 6th)
TREE PHILODENDRON – 30% OFF. The Tree Philodendron is a large leaf plant
that does wonderfully as a houseplant, outside in a pot on a shady
courtyard, or in the ground in shade. They do need to be protected during
cold weather or they can be brought inside the house.

IN THE NURSERY
Good selection of perennials including perennials for more shady areas. We
have Ferns, Coral Bells, Wandering Jew, Porter Weed, Cast Iron Plant, Fire
Spike, Turk’s Cap, Columbine, Sambac Jasmine, Ruellia and others.

ON SALE IN THE STORE (May 31st through June 6th)
Candles, candle holders, and vases 30% off
Select concrete pots – 50% off.

IN THE STORE
Don’t forget that we have a wonderful selection of books. These make great
gifts for Father’s Day.

ANTIDOTE - beneficial nematodes for fire ants, grubs, fleas and other soil
living larvae.

NOLO BAIT - a biological control for grasshoppers – get them while they are
little.

IN THE SOIL YARD

FERTILIZE – Even when you buy great garden soil, you still need to
fertilize, especially with nitrogen. Our soils have a good amount of
phosphorous and potassium, but not a lot of nitrogen as is true with any
soil. Great sources of nitrogen to add to soil include – cottonseed meal,
bat guano, blood meal and mixes such as Lady Bug 8-2-4.

TIP OF THE WEEK
WATER – Now is the time to really start watching water use for the health of
your plants and conservation reasons. The best test for water needs is your
finger. Stick it in the soil. If it is dry, water. If it is moist, hold
off. Of course, it is not as simple as that all the time. Some plants such
as Lavender, natives, etc. really do not like to be kept wet and should dry
out between waterings. Other annuals, veggies, etc. do better with more
water. It is best to plan the garden areas to keep all the moisture loving
plants separated from the more drought tolerant plants and water the beds
individually as needed. Always water that you water deeply and less often
instead of a lot of frequent, light waterings. This is better for the plant
and root development and also better for the soil as more frequent waterings
can cause build-ups of salts and minerals in the top layer. If you use
sprinklers, be sure to test the system by putting out cans to measure the
water in several different areas and adjust the spray or time to make the
waterings efficient. The best time to water is early morning or early
evening. It is always good to mulch to help keep the moisture in. Be sure
to water really well before you put down mulch. Come in this Saturday, May
31st , for a free class on the Submatic Drip Watering system.

CLASSES/EVENTS:
May 31, Saturday, 10am, Submatic. Pat from Submatic will give a talk on how
to set up a Submatic drip system for your garden. Free at the Store.

June 7, Saturday, 10 am, Summer Turf Maintenance with Bill Elzey of
Showplace Lawns. Free at the store.
June 14, Saturday, 10am, Landscape Design. Kim Beall and Stephanie Scherzer
of Rain Lily will give a talk on landscape design. Free at the Store.

See you in the garden…

The Natural Gardener
8648 Old Bee Cave Road
Austin, Texas 78735