Old 30-05-2003, 06:08 PM
audrey

Default beginner gardener needs your advice

Hi,

I have a couple of questions and hope that you experts out there can
help me with them:

1) I have 8 azaleas, each about 1' high x 1' wide. They look very
sparse. Four of them didn't even bloom. The four that bloomed didn't
have a lot of flowers. What can I do to improve foliage and flowers
for next year? Also, will they bloom again this year or do they bloom
only once a year? Do I need to deadhead them? How do I do that? Cut
off the petals and the little antennas (not sure what they are
called)? I'm in zone 6/7.

2) I also have some Happy Returns Daylilies. Do I need to deadhead
them also? Do I deadhead all plants or just certain ones? How can I
know?

3) I also have some yellow Asiatic lilies. I bought them from Home
Depot. They are sold under the "perennial" section but have no label
to the specific cultivar. I didn't know that they are bulbous. Does
it mean that I need to dig them up and store them some where during
the winter months and replant them during the spring?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Audrey
Old 30-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
audrey wrote:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions and hope that you experts out there can
help me with them:

1) I have 8 azaleas, each about 1' high x 1' wide. They look very
sparse...

I know that this sounds like a stupid question, but it got me...

Are they getting water? (This is the equivalent of the
tech support "Is it plugged in?" I guess...)

Don't laugh.

I bought a house that had established landscaping, including
some nice azaleas. In the area I live, even though there has
been drouth in the past, there is plenty of rain, and I don't
bother to water anything. In a year, a couple of the azaleas
stopped blooming, and by the next year they were dead. I
couldn't figure it out.

Then I noticed that the azaleas that died had been planted very
close to the house, and had been protected from all that wonderful
rain by my gutters... Doh.

I'm still too lazy to water, so I bought a couple more azaleas,
planted them out past the roof overhang and they are going
great guns.

The other thing I noticed was that as the trees in the yard
have grown up, the azaleas (and grass) have retreated. From
that I conclude that azaleas must need some decent sun.

I also have a couple of juniper bushes that were planted near
my azaleas. All have grown so large that they are competing
for space and sun. I have a fairly Darwinistic attitude about
it; may the best plant win.

billo
Old 30-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Chelsea Christenson

audrey wrote:

Hi,

I have a couple of questions and hope that you experts out there can
help me with them:

1) I have 8 azaleas, each about 1' high x 1' wide. They look very
sparse. Four of them didn't even bloom. The four that bloomed didn't
have a lot of flowers.

I have gardening help this year, so I've learned a couple of things. When
flowering shrubs don't bloom well, the plant is stressed. This could be
from climate, from soil conditions or from pest invasion. It turned out
that many of my PJMs have lace bugs, which cause a spotty discoloration of
the leaves. One plant is really stressed because of a borer. Take a
close-up picture of the plant and foliage, and ask someone at a local
nursery.

3) I also have some yellow Asiatic lilies. I bought them from Home
Depot. They are sold under the "perennial" section but have no label
to the specific cultivar. I didn't know that they are bulbous. Does
it mean that I need to dig them up and store them some where during
the winter months and replant them during the spring?

I have a few lilies in Zone 5 that I've never dug up for winter, and they
bloom reliably every spring. I think the lesson here is not to buy
anything that doesn't have zone information....

Old 31-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Vox Humana

"audrey" wrote in message
om...
[...]

You can dead head the daylilies if you wish. I try to dead head my
reblooming daylilies because it keeps them looking better and supposedly it
encourages reblooming. Your Asiatic lilies should be fine in zone 6 or 7,
you don't have to lift them. I will let the azalea experts answer your
first question.

Old 31-05-2003, 08:56 AM
NAearthMOM

1. do a search on azaleas on google.

2.no

3.no
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

Old 31-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Fred Garvin

On Fri, 30 May 2003 13:02:33 -0400, audrey wrote:

Hi,

I have a couple of questions and hope that you experts out there can help
me with them:

1) I have 8 azaleas, each about 1' high x 1' wide. They look very
sparse. Four of them didn't even bloom. The four that bloomed didn't
have a lot of flowers. What can I do to improve foliage and flowers for
next year?

How much sun do they get? Fertilizer?

Also, will they bloom again this year or do they bloom only
once a year? Do I need to deadhead them? How do I do that? Cut off the
petals and the little antennas (not sure what they are called)? I'm in
zone 6/7.

Prune AFTER flowering. They will bloom next year.

2) I also have some Happy Returns Daylilies. Do I need to deadhead them
also? Do I deadhead all plants or just certain ones? How can I know?

Deadheading allows the plant to rebuild for next years blooms.

3) I also have some yellow Asiatic lilies. I bought them from Home
Depot. They are sold under the "perennial" section but have no label to
the specific cultivar. I didn't know that they are bulbous. Does it
mean that I need to dig them up and store them some where during the
winter months and replant them during the spring.

No leave them right where they are.