Old 31-05-2003, 08:56 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Identifying Trees by Leaves

I have a tree coming up this spring in a decent location in my parkway
garden. At first I thought it was another Tree of Heaven but it didn't
make sense since the leaves came out about a month earlier than normal.
I don't need another Tree of Heaven, one 25'er is enough. Then I
remembered something from 7th grade science class where we made a leaf
collection. I recall going to the arboretum and by identifying certain
leaf characteristics, you could narrow down to the exact tree this leaf
came from. I recall doing this with hundreds of different trees!

OK. Many many many years later I thought of doing this again. A search
on the web yielded a couple of sites that help with leaf identification
but they seem a bit lacking. I can't for sure even positively ID the
Tree of Heaven in my garden. Does anyone know of any sites that have a
decent database of trees and a way to ID them from the leaf
characteristics?

BTW: From the site http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/forsite/idtree.htm it
appears my new tree might be a White Ash. I don't know how the heck I
could get a White Ash since I don't know of any around in my immediate
neighborhood. I had many of these sprouts, most of them in bad locations
though.

Old 31-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Beecrofter

I know it's cordless but it's hard to beat those plastic covered
Audubon Field Guides.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Judy and Dave G

As a matter of fact I have a photocopy from the 1970s of just this book! So
I used the name on it to do a google search. And I found your book to
identify by leaves! I found it at http://www.naturestudy.com/.

Judy

om...