Old 01-06-2003, 03:32 AM
seepnezorf1

Default dahlias...am I in trouble

I just planted some dahlias....Thomas Edison. The soil they're in is rather
clumpy and clay like...but they'd get direct sun for 8 hours and up in the
NE we've had a very wet spring. I planted them as directed 6 inches deep
and loosened up about two inches of soil underneath the bulbs. Now when
covering them...does the soil need to be packed down or left fairly loose?
Since there is about 1/2 an inch of mulch in the location I packed down the
soil and then covered it with the mulch. Now I'm wondering if the
compacting of the soil was a bad thing and if the bulbs will end up rotting.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Starlord

Dahlias don't like clay, they should have good drainage. if they have not sent
up shoots yet, you might dig them up and fill the holes with compost and plant
the tubers in the compost and a little noontime shade doesn't hurt them either.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"seepnezorf1" wrote in message
newswdCa.817115$Zo.168795@sccrnsc03...
I just planted some dahlias....Thomas Edison. The soil they're in is rather
clumpy and clay like...but they'd get direct sun for 8 hours and up in the
NE we've had a very wet spring. I planted them as directed 6 inches deep
and loosened up about two inches of soil underneath the bulbs. Now when
covering them...does the soil need to be packed down or left fairly loose?
Since there is about 1/2 an inch of mulch in the location I packed down the
soil and then covered it with the mulch. Now I'm wondering if the
compacting of the soil was a bad thing and if the bulbs will end up rotting.
Any advice would be appreciated.

---

Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Bill R

seepnezorf1 wrote:
I just planted some dahlias....Thomas Edison. The soil they're in is rather
clumpy and clay like...but they'd get direct sun for 8 hours and up in the
NE we've had a very wet spring. I planted them as directed 6 inches deep
and loosened up about two inches of soil underneath the bulbs. Now when
covering them...does the soil need to be packed down or left fairly loose?
Since there is about 1/2 an inch of mulch in the location I packed down the
soil and then covered it with the mulch. Now I'm wondering if the
compacting of the soil was a bad thing and if the bulbs will end up rotting.
Any advice would be appreciated.

I would dig them up and dig a larger hole and fill it with
good (non-clay) soil. Dahlias do not do well in clay soil.
Also you do NOT want to mulch then until the plants at
about a foot high. Much helps keep the soil cool and
Dahlias need warm soil to start. Don't feed your Dahlias
until they are about a foot high and after that feed them
only about once a month with a low nitrogen fertilizer (such
as 5-10-10). If you overfeed Dahlias you will get lots of
foliage but few flowers.

I always grow LOTS of Dahlias (this year I have 78 plants)
and I post pictures of them in the
news:alt.binaries.pictures.garden newsgroup. There are lots
of other fine gardeners (and photographers) that post
pictures there too. It is a great newsgroup if your are
interested in beautiful flowers and gardens.
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

[IMG] code is On

Trouble ID'ing lawn trouble GaryM Gardening 0 24-05-2004 10:05 PM
Dahlias Starlord North Carolina 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias Starlord Gardening 0 28-03-2003 02:32 PM
Dahlias for Spring Planting Starlord Gardening 0 20-02-2003 03:51 AM
Dahlias and Cannas at Wisley Ian Wilkins United Kingdom 0 30-09-2002 10:24 AM