Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 AM
Jeffro

Default grass around new fruit trees

I planted 5 apple trees on my property (Portland, OR) three years ago.
Since then I've planted a lawn that has grown around the trees. Will this
grass hinder the development of these trees and should I dig it up around
them?

Also, these trees were about 6' tall when I purchased them three years ago,
all on semi-dwarf M6 rootstock. Anyone know how many years till I can
expect them to start to fruiting?

Thanks for any comments,
Jeff

Old 02-06-2003, 05:08 PM
animaux

I don't know about harm, but your fruit trees will produce far more if there is
no turf under them, but a nice layer of compost topped with mulch. I would
imagine for apples you could start to see fruit in about 3-5 years. Not that
long in the scheme of things.

Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 PM

Like Victoria said. remove the sod carefully dont disturb the surface tree roots.
take it out to the drip line so the roots take up moisture and nutrients dont have to
compete with the sod. mulch. My fully dwarf trees started bearing the year after
they were planted (they bloomed the year I planted, but the buds dropped). were
there any flowers on the tree this year? How much branching have you seen? You
havent been pruning, right? If this is the 3rd summer I would expect some flowers.
Ingrid

"Jeffro" wrote:
I planted 5 apple trees on my property (Portland, OR) three years ago.
Since then I've planted a lawn that has grown around the trees. Will this
grass hinder the development of these trees and should I dig it up around
them?
Also, these trees were about 6' tall when I purchased them three years ago,
all on semi-dwarf M6 rootstock. Anyone know how many years till I can
expect them to start to fruiting?

Thanks for any comments,
Jeff

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List