Old 04-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Dan Richman

Default McLane reel mowers

i'd be grateful to hear from anyone who's had experience with the
mclane 17" push reel mower, particularly the 10-blade model. i've
fallen hopelessly in love with this machine from afar, never having
actually seen one in the flesh (as it were) or pushed one. it is so
cool and beautiful, from an engineering point of view!

but before i commit, can anyone tell me:

1. how easy or hard are they to push? at 47 lbs. (the mower, not me),
i can imagine them being difficult to maneuver.

2. how well do they cut grass when set on the highest settings (2" -
2.5")? does their lack of the sucking action of some rotary mowers
(toro esp., i've heard) mean they don't perform as well on tall grass?

3. how do they compare to their manual push-mower
competitors--agrifab, american states, brill?

the mower would be used for lawn maintenance in seattle, not for a
putting green. as i understand, my grass should be 2" high for optimum
health. i have two very small lawns to maintain. they are of very
mixed grasses. all i want is the lushest, greenest, most beautiful
lawn imaginable.

any and all advice would be appreciated.