Old 09-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Scott

Default Help - Tree Identification (picts included)

Hello,

I recently bought a house and have identified most of the trees in my yard,
with the exception of this one. Can anyone help out? Zone 5.

http://www.digitalcrowd.com/~scottftp/tree/tree1.jpg
http://www.digitalcrowd.com/~scottftp/tree/tree2.jpg

Both are the same tree. Tried to get close-ups for those leave lovers. Tried
finding it through those tree identification things on the web with no luck,
but I don't always understand what they are asking for when going through
those menu trees.

Thanks very much.

Scott

Old 09-06-2003, 02:56 AM
dementia13

In article ,
Scott wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought a house and have identified most of the trees in my yard,
with the exception of this one. Can anyone help out? Zone 5.

http://www.digitalcrowd.com/~scottftp/tree/tree1.jpg
http://www.digitalcrowd.com/~scottftp/tree/tree2.jpg

Some kind of Magnolia: except for the pointed tips, it looks like a
Saucer or a Sweet Bay Magnolia.

Old 09-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Pam

Scott wrote:

Hello,

I recently bought a house and have identified most of the trees in my yard,
with the exception of this one. Can anyone help out? Zone 5.

http://www.digitalcrowd.com/~scottftp/tree/tree1.jpg
http://www.digitalcrowd.com/~scottftp/tree/tree2.jpg

Both are the same tree. Tried to get close-ups for those leave lovers. Tried
finding it through those tree identification things on the web with no luck,
but I don't always understand what they are asking for when going through
those menu trees.

I agree. Definitely a magnolia, but which species is a question. Many deciduous
magnolias will produce seedheads similar in form to those in the pic and there
are dozens of species and countless more hybrid forms. Post a picture when it
blooms next spring and you might get a more accurate ID.

pam - gardengal

Old 10-06-2003, 03:08 AM
dementia13

I agree. Definitely a magnolia, but which species is a question. Many
deciduous
magnolias will produce seedheads similar in form to those in the pic and
there
are dozens of species and countless more hybrid forms. Post a picture when it
blooms next spring and you might get a more accurate ID.

pam - gardengal

You can do a Google search on "Magnolia", maybe try filtering out
references to Bed & Breakfasts and the Grateful Dead to cut your results
down to 5 figures, and see if you find one that matches. I I.D.'d my dog
by entering "sheepdog", and found her picture on the second page of
search, returning only pages that contain images and showing thumbnails
of those images.