Old 14-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Dan

Default Clematis questions

Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade? We have a Clematis growing
in back yard, but it has never bloomed. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 14-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Sed5555

Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade?

Full sun is best. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/clematis.htm
sed5555
Old 14-06-2003, 06:08 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Sed5555) wrote:

Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade?

Full sun is best. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/clematis.htm
sed5555

Shade on the shallow roots however -- it'll climb to sun.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 15-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:58:16 -0500, "Dan" wrote:

Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade? We have a Clematis growing
in back yard, but it has never bloomed. Any ideas? Thanks!

They need a few hours of sun daily to promote blooming. Clematis take
2 or 3 years for an established root system, then they begin blooming.
My clematis (3 types) get early to late morning sun and are doing very
well.
Old 15-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Penny Morgan

Clematis need to have full sun on their leaves, but mulch to cool their
roots. I use a light colored mulch on the bottom so the heat is less on the
root systems. Their ultimate climate would be morning sun and afternoon
shade in hot climates and all day sun in cooler climates. I'm in zone 7b,
North Carolina, and my clematis is doing great in morning sun/afternoon
shade. Clematis start to fizzle out soon until fall cool weather
reactivates them again.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 15-06-2003, 12:56 PM
GrampysGurl

They need a few hours of sun daily to promote blooming. Clematis take
2 or 3 years for an established root system, then they begin blooming.
My clematis (3 types) get early to late morning sun and are doing very
well.

I've had a Nelly Moser for quite a few years and it never did well. I moved it
to a situation like you mentioned and it is HUGE this year. I added 2 others to
the same pole that bloom at different times of the year, I am interested in
watching the progress... I have a red variety, as well as a hot pink.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 15-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:58:16 -0400, Dan wrote:

Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade? We have a Clematis
growing in back yard, but it has never bloomed. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mine get sun from sun up til about noon and they bloom fine. Some may take
a year or two to bloom though. The roots like to be in shade from what I
understand.

My "Henri" grow like a weed, my Pink and white one (forgot the name at the
moment) took 506 years to start blooming and grow MUCH slower. Same soil,
light,etc.
Old 16-06-2003, 06:05 PM
Doug Kanter

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article ,
(Sed5555) wrote:

Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade?

Full sun is best. See:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/clematis.htm
sed5555

Shade on the shallow roots however -- it'll climb to sun.

-paghat the ratgirl

Eggzackly. Mine's growing on a trellis in a yard where it gets 80% shade.
But, the trellis is on a garage with an overhang just 7' high. The plant
rambles up the trellis and onto the rain gutter, where it finds lots of sun.
It's slightly top heavy, but gorgeous just the same.

Clematis plants also do better if you look at them a lot, but I can't prove
this.

Old 18-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Sunflower

"Dan" wrote in message
Does Clematis need full sun, partial, or shade? We have a Clematis growing
in back yard, but it has never bloomed. Any ideas? Thanks!

If indeed it is getting sufficient sun as has been suggested, there are also
other considerations that have not been raised. Clematis need winter chill
hours to do well, and in warm winter climates like SoCal and S. Florida they
may not bloom. What is your location? Also, what variety are you growing?
If you are growing a clematis montana or other spring only blooming clematis
and you are pruning it in late winter/early spring, then you may be cutting
off the very growth that would produce flowers.

Sunflower
MS 7b