Old 14-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Cris Fuhrman

Default Smells like jasmine: shrub in Montreal

Hi,

Last fall we bought a house, and one of the former owners had done a
lot with the landscaping. In the front of the house is a peculiar
shrub that is now blooming. The flowers are about an inch wide, white
and smell like jasmine. However, the photos I've found on the internet
show jasmine as having five or more elongated petals, e.g.,
http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/art1/jasmine.jpg
Doing a search on images.google.com for "jasminium" didn't yield a
photo of my shrub. I have several gardening books that don't list it
either. Perhaps it's not a jasmine at all -- it sure SMELLS like
jasmine!

My shrub has flowers with exactly four, rounded petals that are mostly
flat, and the stamen are very visible. The flowers are about an inch
wide, and appear in groups of 5 or so at the end of new growth. The
shrub has woody stems (last year's growth), is not a vine, and has to
survive the bitter winters here in Montreal (-25 deg Celcius). The
leaves are simple, opposite-branching, light green, and have fine
teeth aiming away from the stem (you have to look closely to see
them). They fall off in the fall, as the shrub is not an evergreen.
It's currently about a meter wide, and almost two meters high. It has
been strangely pruned over the years it appears.

I could put a photo up on the net eventually, if this description
isn't enough.

I would ultimately like to identify the bush so that I can know how
best to prune and care for it. Its shape is strange now, from lack of
proper upkeep--it was pruned to make space for the walkway it would
appear. A neighbor told me that it used to have more blooms many years
ago. Perhaps it needs fertilizing as well.

Regards,

Cris
Old 15-06-2003, 01:56 AM
limey

"Cris Fuhrman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Is there a chance that it is this?

http://www.cwnp.org/photopgs/pdoc/phlewisii.html

Common name: mock orange. I've forgotten if it has any fragrance, though.

Dora

Old 15-06-2003, 01:56 AM
limey

[...]

Here's another link - and the flowers *are* fragrant.

http://www.statehousegirls.net/id/symbols/flower/

Dora

Old 15-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Christopher Fuhrman

--

"limey" wrote in message

[...]

That is it... the name I found is Philadelphus coronarius, and here's
another photo:
http://thierry.jouet.free.fr/photos/philadelphus3.jpg

One of the other sites I saw mentioned (in german) that it is similar to
Jasmine.

Thanks for all the help!

Cris

Old 15-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Beecrofter

Right about now my two prime suspects would be Mock Orange aka "Philadelphus"
and any one of many Viburnums that should be in bloom in your area.
Hope it narrows your search.
If the old stems are kind of peeling/exfoliating I'd go with the mock orange.

[IMG] code is On

10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it? brassplyer Gardening 2 16-06-2009 09:09 PM
Notes: Damon shining in DH role - says Fenway smells like an armpit - Fast Larry[_2_] Gardening 2 13-06-2007 11:07 PM
Tree smells like vinegar kc Gardening 2 29-06-2005 09:58 AM
A plant that smells like lemon? ChrisC United Kingdom 20 07-07-2004 11:03 PM
bush that smells like cantaloupe Eric Goforth Gardening 6 28-05-2004 03:03 PM