Old 02-07-2004, 08:04 PM
ChrisC

Default A plant that smells like lemon?

Hi there,

I have a plant that leaves smell like lemon. Not sure what it's
called. Actually thats a secondary question. What I would actually
like to know is can you take cuttings from this plant? I have chopped
off a branch just below a node and scraped at it, in the hope that it
will root.

Chars.
--
"You are a seeker.
Delight in the mastery

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

ChrisC
Old 02-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , ChrisC wrote:

I have a plant that leaves smell like lemon. Not sure what it's
called. Actually thats a secondary question. What I would actually
like to know is can you take cuttings from this plant? I have chopped
off a branch just below a node and scraped at it, in the hope that it
will root.

Leaves rather like a softer willow? Then it is lemon verbena, and
it should root. Rounded, 'cushiony' leaves? Then it is lemon
balm, and is best propagated by division. But my guess is the
former.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

Leaves rather like a softer willow? Then it is lemon verbena, and
it should root. Rounded, 'cushiony' leaves? Then it is lemon
balm, and is best propagated by division. But my guess is the
former.

My guess is the latter, as it's much more common (grows as a weed in my
garden). But I hope it's the former, as I think it's a wonderful,
wonderful plant, and makes the best herbal tea there is.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old 02-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Douglas

ChrisC wrote in message ...
Hi there,

I Chars.
--
"You are a seeker.
Delight in the mastery
Of your hands and your feet,
Of your words and your thoughts.
Delight in meditation and in solitude.
Compose yourself, be happy.
You are a seeker."
- Buddha in the Dhammapada -
ChrisC

******
Meditation and solitude!. Another wise guy who's found a way of avoiding
getting his hands dirty and doing a bit of exercise- like a wee bit the
work.
Mugs like me have to get down to feeding mouths. I could meditate in
solitude if I wanted but the trouble is that the supermarket check-out bint
calls security if I walk past her with a full trolley.
That's Reality, but I'll keep on being a seeker and try next time at Asdas,
Anyone know where the wise guy who wrote the above, - the Dhammapada
wallah, - gets his flide lice?.
Doug.

******

Old 03-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Bob Hobden

"Douglas" wrote
Meditation and solitude!. Another wise guy who's found a way of avoiding
getting his hands dirty and doing a bit of exercise- like a wee bit the
work.
Mugs like me have to get down to feeding mouths. I could meditate in
solitude if I wanted but the trouble is that the supermarket check-out

bint
calls security if I walk past her with a full trolley.
That's Reality, but I'll keep on being a seeker and try next time at

Asdas,
Anyone know where the wise guy who wrote the above, - the Dhammapada
wallah, - gets his flide lice?.

Like most Buddhist Monks he gets given it daily by the local population,
people very like yourself. :-)

Actually the comment was made by the Lord Buddha himself (who was actually
an Indian Prince by birth).

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 03-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Kay

In article , ChrisC ?@?.?
writes
Hi there,

I have a plant that leaves smell like lemon. Not sure what it's
called. Actually thats a secondary question.

Fairly primary, since it will affect how you take cuttings! ;-)
I can think of lemon balm (a bit like mint), lemon verbena ( a twiggy
shrub) and lemon scented geranium (which will root if you just break
bits off and stick them into a pot of soil.

Old 03-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Kay

In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

Leaves rather like a softer willow? Then it is lemon verbena, and
it should root. Rounded, 'cushiony' leaves? Then it is lemon
balm, and is best propagated by division. But my guess is the
former.

My guess is the latter, as it's much more common (grows as a weed in my
garden). But I hope it's the former, as I think it's a wonderful,
wonderful plant, and makes the best herbal tea there is.

I'd have thought that if it were lemon balm, she wouldn't need to ask
about propagation! ;-)

--
Kay

Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

Leaves rather like a softer willow? Then it is lemon verbena, and
it should root. Rounded, 'cushiony' leaves? Then it is lemon
balm, and is best propagated by division. But my guess is the
former.

My guess is the latter, as it's much more common (grows as a weed in my
garden). But I hope it's the former, as I think it's a wonderful,
wonderful plant, and makes the best herbal tea there is.

I'd have thought that if it were lemon balm, she wouldn't need to ask
about propagation! ;-)

That was one of the reasons I guessed the former :-) The other is
that lemon balm is semi-herbaceous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Douglas
writes
ChrisC wrote in message ...

"You are a seeker.
Delight in the mastery
Of your hands and your feet,

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

Anyone know where the wise guy who wrote the above, - the Dhammapada
wallah, - gets his flide lice?.

Gandhi (a Hindu not a Buddhist but heh) made his own clothes. Who's to
say that working in the garden cannot be practice? I find weeding most
enlightening!

Metta,

--
dave @ stejonda
Bring culture back to NTL.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
ChrisC

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:32:48 +0100, Lazarus Cooke
wrote:

In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

Leaves rather like a softer willow? Then it is lemon verbena, and
it should root. Rounded, 'cushiony' leaves? Then it is lemon
balm, and is best propagated by division. But my guess is the
former.

My guess is the latter, as it's much more common (grows as a weed in my
garden). But I hope it's the former, as I think it's a wonderful,
wonderful plant, and makes the best herbal tea there is.

Lazarus

I love a herbal tea, if thats the case I hope it's the former to.

Old 04-07-2004, 03:02 AM
ChrisC

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 19:19:33 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Douglas
writes
ChrisC wrote in message ...

"You are a seeker.
Delight in the mastery
Of your hands and your feet,

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

Anyone know where the wise guy who wrote the above, - the Dhammapada
wallah, - gets his flide lice?.

Gandhi (a Hindu not a Buddhist but heh) made his own clothes. Who's to
say that working in the garden cannot be practice? I find weeding most
enlightening!

Metta,

Indeed.

Metta to.
--
"You are a seeker.
Delight in the mastery
Of your hands and your feet,
Of your words and your thoughts.
Delight in meditation and in solitude.
Compose yourself, be happy.
You are a seeker."

- Buddha in the Dhammapada -

ChrisC

10 10 10 fertilizer smells like ammonia - can I use it? brassplyer Gardening 2 16-06-2009 09:09 PM
Notes: Damon shining in DH role - says Fenway smells like an armpit - Fast Larry[_2_] Gardening 2 13-06-2007 11:07 PM
Tree smells like vinegar kc Gardening 2 29-06-2005 09:58 AM
bush that smells like cantaloupe Eric Goforth Gardening 6 28-05-2004 03:03 PM
Smells like jasmine: shrub in Montreal Cris Fuhrman Gardening 4 15-06-2003 02:44 PM