Old 14-06-2003, 10:20 PM
brianb

Default Questions about lawn and whatnot

I have so many questions I don't know where to begin...

I live in Mid/South GA, on the Alabama line. Mostly clay soil. I
have a small yard, about 2000 sq feet. Most of the property is woods.
The soil seems to be mostly clay. I'm going to get it tested next
week. You give them soil and tell them what you want to grow here.
Supposedly, from talking to the local extension service, it's acidic
also.

The soil doesn't really drain well. Back when I tried to water what
was left of the grass, it the water would just pool on top of the
ground. It's very slow to soak in.

So that's one issue. I might have to add something to break up the
clay. I'm not sure what clay is even made of.

I was thinking of using roundup, rototilling, adding manure, lime,
waiting a few weeks and then trying to plant seed. The extension guy
said the purchased topsoil here is poor quality, so I should skip it.

Then on here, I read that rototilling the soil isn't good for it,
kills worms, etc. So I am confused. Also if I want to "improve
drainage" adding compost and sand to a rototilled yard sounds
good...but wait...under the 6 inches of topsoil what is there? I
would guess it would be more clay. So how much could it improve the
drainage? I guess it would improve it in the top 6 inches or so. But
beneath that it would still be the same old clay.

Some grasses prefer clay, is that so? I'm thinking of planting
fescue, but I'm on the edge of the zone (I think my zone is 8/9, hard
to get a good zone map). Most people have Bermuda here, but my lot is
too shady, so mine is not doing well. I may plant some zoysia...it's
beautiful and spreads so that's good. Some parts of my lawn are 50%
sun/shade. Zoysia is supposed to be OK in part shade down here.

One thing that confuses me is that people cut zoysia at 1" or so. I
think that's crazy. Is there a reason for that? I'm from up north
where lawns are 3" or so. You know, a nice luxurious lawn. Not a 1
inch mat. I would plan to my grass much longer if it can survive on
my yard at all. Would that be a problem?

With my small lot size, you would think i would have free reign to
easily do just about anything. I guess I could rototill (If that's
what's required)...but then I'd have to dump the excess clay
somewhere, otherwise my yard would be a good inch or two higher.
Adding compost shouldn't be hard. AS a matter of fact, the leaves I
pull out of my gutter are decayed into a rich black dirt. So that is
one idea...I could just dump leaves on them or mix them into the clay
somehow. Would this work?

In the front yard I have a steep shaded slope. I want to add some
pachysandras. I figure to dig a hole and ummmm....I don't know add
some polysandra and some soil and water. Should that be about it?
Will that do? Hopefully the polysandras will spread like mad. Is
this possible?

Thanks for any info/advice.
Old 15-06-2003, 12:32 AM
pelirojaroja

Well, we rototilled several sections of our yard a month or two ago, then
added topsoil (mixed half-and-half with compost or humus), and you should
see the thick crop of earthworms now.

Since your yard is on the small side, I would rototill (make sure it's right
conditions for that -- not too wet or dry), add compost and till that in,
too, and then top dress with compost and plant grass (if that's what you're
aiming for here -- just guessing.) Your grass seed must be *compatible*
with your conditions. This means, from your description, compatible with
shade, probably high heat-tolerant (given where you live), and clay/acidic
soil.

Consider the lime as a temporary fixative -- your lawn is what it is,
pH-wise. Anything you add to it might change the acidity for a short
while, but it will revert sooner or later - probably sooner.

Once you get your seed planted, water it like mad and keep it moist. Let is
grow 3 inches for best health before you mow it -- never take off more than
1/3 of the blade's length when you mow.

Good luck!
--
-- pelirojaroja

m...

Old 15-06-2003, 12:56 AM
--Bill--

Something not to overlook...many subdivision yards get filled with all
sorts of crap that may or may not reflect what your area's soil is
really like.
My yard, for instance, had 0-18 inches of basically sandy marl thrown on
top to level it off. Your yard could be filled with biologically dead
crap from 18 feet under from some other area.
Your tests should reveal that but adding real topsoil/humus/compost is
never a bad idea.
-Bill

Old 15-06-2003, 04:08 PM
brianb

"pelirojaroja" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well that's interesting about the lime. IF it can't be made
non-acidic then I think fescue is out.

Funny, walking around the neighborhood, everyone has a pretty good
lawn. Even the grass by the side of the road seems like it's doing
OK, and often there are parts of people's lawns that are shaded. Some
grass I recognized as bermuda or zoysia, but there were others that
were different that I didn't recognize. I think one may have been
"carpetgrass". If it is, then it looks pretty good for a lawn and
I'll probably use it. It grows in infertile soil.

Still trying to get more info about the pachysandras, whether they
spread like I want them to. That would be great if they could anchor
the soil down and prevent erosion.