Old 18-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Ike Porter

Default Newb needs help please

I've lived at my current address for some time, and it's had a small
mulching setup that I've just torn down because it's turned into an
eyesore after being used for anything but mulching. I spred the dirt and
it's a nice dark brown and it strikes me that it'd be a good place for a
garden. It's situated under a deck, but there's plenty of room to move
around in there. I'm interested in finding out information on how to get
started. Do I have to do anything to treat the soil before I do anything?
Is it too late in the year to plant anything? What sorts of things can I
plant that will do well in low light? I live in Maryland just south of
Baltimore. What will I want to concider in planning the garden that I
won't know to think of? I'm not afraid of making mistakes, but I'd like to
get advice rather than just jumping into it. Thanks for any help! I've
done some web searching but can't seem to narrow it down enough to get
good information.

--Ike
--
brother ike
unix sysadmin
Old 18-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ike Porter" wrote in message
[...]

Screw the web. Right this minute, go to your favorite book seller's web site
and buy a book called "The Complete Shade Gardener", by George Schenck. I
know Barnes & Noble has it. There are several hundred terrific shade plants
in that book, all described in detail, along with accurate info on what
planting zones they'll survive in. You're in a wonderful climate for
gardening, by the way.

Rather than recommend specific plants, I'd suggest taking the book to some
plant sellers (not home improvement centers), look for things that you find
attractive, consult the book and the people who run the place, and then take
things home.

OK...one recommendation: Ferns. :-) Everybody likes ferns of one kind or
another.

Old 18-06-2003, 09:56 PM
antonious

Lucky man... Bought a hous with a well composted plase to plant.

Turn the soil over very will, by hand or tiller, how doesn't matter as much
as getting the soil loosened up

there are several plants that grow wonderfully in shade. Some bloom ,
several don't.

Hosta's , Astilbe, ferns and many woodland wildflowers will do well there.
As well as impatiens , woodruff and several goundcovering plants

What you wil want to consider above all else, is matching your plants to
your winter hardiness zone... I belive Baltimore is zone 6, or possible
zone 7. this means that the average winter lowe is 10 deg F to 0 deg F with
occasional hard winter temps -10 deg.

you may also want to have your soil tested for any nutrient deficiencies.
you can do this by either purchasing a soil test kit any any home/garden
shop or nursery OR you can send a sample to your local USDA county extinsion
office. The first method is quicker and less expensive and generalized, the
second method will be slower, more expensive and detailed. I will guess
that the soil will probably be lacking in nitrogen (Due to the decompisition
of the wood mulch/chips).

the internet is great for digging up 'dirt' on garden supplies and such, but
the public library and booksellers are wonderful sources of garden research
materials

Have fun and don't forget to mulch!

Old 29-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Joseph S. Larson

Wait a minute! You said the area is under a deck - how are the plants going to
get their water? Are you committing to watering all season long to get things
to grow? If rain can't get to your plants, they are going to be totally
dependant on you! A gravel mulch with maybe some interesting stones arranged
Japanese garden style, and plants at the edges where rain hits might be a better
solution.
Wendy (not Joe, he just mows the lawn)

"Ike Porter" wrote in message
[...]

27 Arnold Road
Pelham, MA 01002-9757
413-256-8256
http://myprofile.cos.com/larson358

Old 02-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Ike Porter

In article ,
Joseph S. Larson wrote:
Wait a minute! You said the area is under a deck - how are the plants going to
get their water? Are you committing to watering all season long to get things
to grow? If rain can't get to your plants, they are going to be totally
dependant on you! A gravel mulch with maybe some interesting stones arranged
Japanese garden style, and plants at the edges where rain hits might be a better
solution.
Wendy (not Joe, he just mows the lawn)

Apologies for the long delay in responce! The deck isn't tightly boarded,
and in fact I'm going to have to look at some kind of modification to
keep rain water from dripping forcefully down and causing destruction. I
am thinking about a mesh screen under the deck to break up the larger drops.

Now that you mention it, Japanese garden style has some appeal as well.
I'll keep collecting options until something really hits me I guess. Thanks
for your input!

--Ike