Old 18-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Jessica

Default help with geranium

A friend had given me a geranium last fall that she had cut down drastically
and put into a pot. I am not sure of the species, but I know that it will
become very tall and bushy with beautiful pink flowers. I promptly put it in
the ground and let it do its own thing all winter and spring. With the
weather warming up it was coming along nicely until one of my dogs broke the
main stem in half chasing one of my cats under the porch. I tried fitting
the stem together and binding it with tape, but the damn dog had broke it
again. Now there is only a 3 inch stub sticking up from the ground and I
have given up on taping it back together again.

I am wondering if I will see any growth this summer from the remaining stub
and if there is any particular care I should give it. I threw some composted
steer manure around it and watered it decently. I have also closed off the
opening under the porch so the cats cannot dash under it when the dogs
decide to have a little fun. Thankfully, these dogs are kind hearted and
have never harmed my cats. They simply enjoy the chase.

Anyway, any advise is appreciated as always. :-)

-Jessica

Old 19-06-2003, 05:56 AM
B & J

"Jessica" wrote in message
[...]

Unless the stub is totally old, hard material, it should send out shoots.
Keep it watered and fertilized (MiracleGro works - they don't need high
humus), and wait for results. BTW, if you have the piece the animal antics
broke off, stick it in the ground in a shady area, water, and it should set
roots and grow. Don't be discouraged if it is wilted. I regularly give away
pieces from two huge, red geraniums that I've rooted when they break off
from wind or weight of flowers. Many times they look like dried up sticks
when I plant them.

John

geranium spikes DigitalVinyl Gardening 2 13-05-2018 04:44 AM
Help on Monarda, Echinacea, Geranium & Campanula Zarch United Kingdom 0 28-05-2007 08:52 PM
cranesbill geranium susabean Gardening 7 16-06-2003 03:20 AM
Geranium problem Estelle Evans Gardening 0 24-04-2003 02:44 PM
geranium macrorrhizum or pulmonaria in my deer-ridden, clay-filled backyard? Maggie Gardening 0 04-02-2003 03:37 PM