Old 23-06-2003, 06:45 PM
FireBrick

Default Question about Peonies

My large Peony plant has now lost it's blooms.
What's left are a cluster of green basically tear dropped shaped pods.
I assume these are seed pods.

Can I utilize these to plant in other areas?
How?
When?

Thanks in advance for the help.

90% of all statistics are made up

Bill H. in Chicagoland

Old 23-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Derryl Killan

Derryl writes:

You can propagate Peonis from seed. It is faster to split the plant.

"FireBrick"

Old 23-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Wait for the pods to dry, then split open, dry the seeds a bit more, and
plant in 6" pots so you can control the moisture. You want to plant the
seedlings in the early fall so they have time to settle in for the winter.

Keep in mind, though, that many of the plants may not look anything like the
parents. They'll probably still be pretty though. Breeders duplicate many
plants not by using seeds, but through vegetative propogation: They either
use stem cuttings, or dig up & split the root systems into smaller pieces.

"FireBrick" wrote in message
My large Peony plant has now lost it's blooms.
What's left are a cluster of green basically tear dropped shaped pods.
I assume these are seed pods.

Can I utilize these to plant in other areas?
How?
When?

Thanks in advance for the help.

90% of all statistics are made up

Bill H. in Chicagoland

[IMG] code is On

Planting tree peonies - where is the grafting point!?! Pelvis Popcan Gardening 1 10-10-2003 11:32 PM
Transplanting Peonies? Peggy Elliott Gardening 4 20-08-2003 10:22 PM
peonies question FireBrick Lawns 2 27-06-2003 09:56 PM
Help! There's something wrong with my Peonies!! BillC Gardening 4 27-05-2003 01:20 AM
will trade native orange daylilies for peonies? (Transplants from Zone 7) Tracy McDaniel Gardening 0 07-05-2003 03:20 PM