Old 24-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Scott

Default Indoor Plant - Insect Problem

Last fall we purchased an indoor plant from the local garden centre. Over
the past few months, we have noticed a sudden presence of small black flies
flying around our apartment, originating from this plant. They are more
annoying than anything (they tend to get in your eyes quite often).

Upon closer inspection of the plant, we noticed that these flies are
accompanied by small worm-like insects (they appear to be a cross between
worms and caterpillars) and crawling flies (similar to the black flies
discussed above).

Can anyone suggest a remedy? I would really like to keep the plant, and
avoid having the bugs spreading to my other plants. Although over-watering
might be a problem, we have cut down on the water without having much affect
on the bugs... Soapy water? Silicon-dioxide?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 24-06-2003, 04:32 AM
jrstark

Scott wrote:

Last fall we purchased an indoor plant from the local garden centre. Over
the past few months, we have noticed a sudden presence of small black flies
flying around our apartment, originating from this plant. They are more
annoying than anything (they tend to get in your eyes quite often).

Upon closer inspection of the plant, we noticed that these flies are
accompanied by small worm-like insects (they appear to be a cross between
worms and caterpillars) and crawling flies (similar to the black flies
discussed above).

Can anyone suggest a remedy? I would really like to keep the plant, and
avoid having the bugs spreading to my other plants. Although over-watering
might be a problem, we have cut down on the water without having much affect
on the bugs... Soapy water? Silicon-dioxide?

Any help is appreciated!

Google on "fungus gnats"

They come in the potting soil, overwatering definitely increases your
chances of getting them.

I got rid of mine by moving the plant outside, it is much happier now.

Janine

Old 24-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

There is only one solution to your problem. You must commit an act of
insecticide!
Your mission is to run out to your local garden center, buy a bottle of
houseplant insecticide and use according to the instructions. Are you up to
it?

After you mission is completed, you can go off to the beach and play in all
the silicon dioxide you want! You might even want to bathe in soapy water
too!!!

.. .