Old 25-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Adrian

Default Feeding Walnut Tree

Hiya

I have a walnut tree currently in a pot (I am growing it from a nut,
its about 2 foot high now) and I would like to feed it, whats the best
food for walnut trees ?

Thanks
Old 25-06-2003, 09:20 PM
jhultman

I would think layer of mulch and manure would give it all it needs.

I've got a black walnut in a *LARGE* pot. The tree started in a small
patch under the awnings and I felt that wasn't exactly the best place
for a tree to get established. Concrete and asphalt near, plus with the roof
over
head prompted me to dig it up. To my surprise, for such a small sprout
of a tree at one and a half feet tall the tap root was long and deep.
I had to take a chance and cut the root to pot it. It's been several
years and that little black walnut is still kicking. I'm not surprised.
I found the nuts at the base of an old tree on the edge of brackish water
and a levee bordering San Francisco Bay. The valley used to be rich with
walnut orchards so I figured this was some original stock. But with English
walnut stock being grafted to the Black Walnut trunks as I understand, are the
means of an english nut for harvest and eating. The black
walnut being heartier and resistant to disease than the english root stock.

We used to have four walnut trees in our back yard when I was a kid. Two
were black walnuts. Each about two feet in diameter. The others were grafted
english on black. One was at least five feet in diameter. Huge! Tall, fun
to climb, but real messy. Sticky sap all over as it dripped, rather misted
from the tree. You could see it through a setting sun falling and covering
everything. The runts (parents) had them removed eventually. For the pool.
Which they had installed long after us kids moved out, go figure.

So this leads to a question?
Can I snip a branch off of an english walnut tree of the same size diameter
as the black and with proper grafting technique have a chance? It's about
a half inch in diameter.

Or should I, could I use a sucker from an english walnut?
There are a couple nearby I've been meaning to ask the property owner
if I could snip a couple. But I need to have everything in place first.

Jeff