Old 26-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Diane

Default ID - weed or astillbe?

http://old-homes.net/pix/ours/flowers03/IM002431.jpg

The leaves are smooth while my astillbe leaves are notched. But they
almost look like astillbe's and are in the area where I have two.

Thanks!

Diane
Old 27-06-2003, 01:08 AM
antonious

"Diane" wrote in message
http://old-homes.net/pix/ours/flowers03/IM002431.jpg

The leaves are smooth while my astillbe leaves are notched. But they
almost look like astillbe's and are in the area where I have two.

Thanks!

Diane

it is a weed, Diane... Knotweed is the common name I think... if you like
it, keep it. If you don't kill kill kill

Old 27-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Vox Humana

"Diane" wrote in message
http://old-homes.net/pix/ours/flowers03/IM002431.jpg

The leaves are smooth while my astillbe leaves are notched. But they
almost look like astillbe's and are in the area where I have two.

If the above link is to the pictures of weeds in question, I don't think
they look anything like astillbe. Coincidentally, I am plagued with this
same weed here (SW Ohio) and it is among a big patch of mature astilbe that
are just starting to bloom. That weed has spread to the lawn and is
relentless. I have pulled and pulled and it still comes back. Preen
doesn't seem to prevent it.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Diane

If the above link is to the pictures of weeds in question, I don't think
they look anything like astillbe. Coincidentally, I am plagued with this
same weed here (SW Ohio) and it is among a big patch of mature astilbe that
are just starting to bloom. That weed has spread to the lawn and is
relentless. I have pulled and pulled and it still comes back. Preen
doesn't seem to prevent it.

It was only the pink spike that made me think of the astillbe. Oh
lovely, now I have this, creeping charlie and voilets competing for my
gardens?

I pulled what was in the flowers tonight and sprayed roundup in the back
portion.

There are days when I think I should just dig the whole garden out and
cover it with thick black plastic for a season or two!!!

Thanks for the help,

Diane
Old 27-06-2003, 11:56 AM
GrampysGurl

it is a weed, Diane... Knotweed is the common name I think... if you like
it, keep it. If you don't kill kill kill

I have it on the side of my garage and let it grow there, I think it's kind of
pretty..... It pulls from the ground easy.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Vox Humana

"Diane" wrote in message

If the above link is to the pictures of weeds in question, I don't think
they look anything like astillbe. Coincidentally, I am plagued with

this
same weed here (SW Ohio) and it is among a big patch of mature astilbe

that
are just starting to bloom. That weed has spread to the lawn and is
relentless. I have pulled and pulled and it still comes back. Preen
doesn't seem to prevent it.

It was only the pink spike that made me think of the astillbe. Oh
lovely, now I have this, creeping charlie and voilets competing for my
gardens?

I feel your pain. I have that weed, creeping Charlie, Virginia creeper,
violets, bind weed, wild onions, violets, wild ginger, and wild strawberries
all fighting it out. If only the deer, rabbits, and slugs would eat the
weeds instead of the perennials!

Old 28-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Diane

It was only the pink spike that made me think of the astillbe. Oh
lovely, now I have this, creeping charlie and voilets competing for my
gardens?

I feel your pain. I have that weed, creeping Charlie, Virginia creeper,
violets, bind weed, wild onions, violets, wild ginger, and wild strawberries
all fighting it out. If only the deer, rabbits, and slugs would eat the
weeds instead of the perennials!

I covered this new weed and some violets with Roundup (regular) last
night. They don't appear to be wilting.

argh!!!

Diane
Old 28-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Vox Humana

"Diane" wrote in message

It was only the pink spike that made me think of the astillbe. Oh
lovely, now I have this, creeping charlie and voilets competing for my
gardens?

I feel your pain. I have that weed, creeping Charlie, Virginia creeper,
violets, bind weed, wild onions, violets, wild ginger, and wild

strawberries
all fighting it out. If only the deer, rabbits, and slugs would eat the
weeds instead of the perennials!

I covered this new weed and some violets with Roundup (regular) last
night. They don't appear to be wilting.

It could take 48 hours before you see any results.

Old 29-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Other Brother Kevin

Diane wrote:

It was only the pink spike that made me think of the astillbe. Oh
lovely, now I have this, creeping charlie and voilets competing for my
gardens?

I feel your pain. I have that weed, creeping Charlie, Virginia creeper,
violets, bind weed, wild onions, violets, wild ginger, and wild strawberries
all fighting it out. If only the deer, rabbits, and slugs would eat the
weeds instead of the perennials!

I covered this new weed and some violets with Roundup (regular) last
night. They don't appear to be wilting.

argh!!!

Diane

You might try some Vinegar on them, check out the lovely thread now
ongoing this ng for the recipe.

Kevin

Old 05-07-2003, 08:56 PM
Diane

I covered this new weed and some violets with Roundup (regular) last
night. They don't appear to be wilting.

argh!!!

Diane

You might try some Vinegar on them, check out the lovely thread now
ongoing this ng for the recipe.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll look it up. They were a bit wilted when I pulled
them today, they didn't look *dead*.

I used a (possibly) new broadleaf weed killer on the grass Wed night,
no results there yet either lol. I think it was and Ortho product

Diane