Old 27-06-2003, 06:08 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default Morning Glory--sudden total yellowing -brownign of bottom leaves

I have a pot with three morning glories and a few small plants filling
the center. The morning glories aren't that full-planted late, had
some trouble.

Today I found that all the bottom leaves on all three are yellow. Some
have tan-grey centers between the veins like they are rotting-burning.
It is on new and large old leaves. They didn't look like this
yesterday afternoon. Yesterday morning I did give this pot some light
liquid fertilizer with the water.

They other 4 plants in the same pot are unaffected. All are green.

Are morning glories a heavier feeder? more sensitive to Iron
deficiency? Some root problem?
COuld this just be light deficiency?
The roof overhangs are blocking more light in that spot that I thought
when I put them there. I could put them out in the sun and maybe they
would either perk up or burn...
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 27-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: DigitalVinyl
Date: Fri, Jun 27, 2003 1:00 PM
[...]

First of all, it's the nature of morning glories to lose their first leaves
(think baby teeth) by yellowing/browning off. Simply cut them off when they
start to look bad. If the vine is growing strongly, lower-leaf dieback isn't
an indication of a problem.

Second, morning glories aren't heavy feeders at all, but they do like a shot of
very mild liquid feed a couple of times a season, and this is particularly
necessary if you've got them growing in containers.

Third, water them before they get too dry. Water stress (too much or too
little) will cause weak plants. Morning glories have lots of very fine roots
and don't store moisture; this combined with lots of thin, large leaves can
make them thirsty. However, even with the best care they do tend to wilt
temporarily when hit with bright sun; best to see if the soil is still damp
before watering them again. (You should have them in a very well-draining mix
so that even some overwatering won't hurt them.)

Different varieties of morning glory behave differently and some tend to have
leaf problems even if they're otherwise healthy and blooming. They're also
subject to flea beetle damage....little holes in the leaves.....but this is
only for a relatively brief period, so don't think about spraying or other
insecticidal treatment; it's not necessary and probably not useful. A mist of
water from the hose can be useful in general, but don't do this when the sun is
hitting 'em. I believe that I've had some good results with using a mild
fertilizer as a foliar spray, as well (also, not when the sun's gonna hit
them).

Next, morning glories do need full or nearly-full sun.....at least five hours a
day, starting in the morning.

Last, always plant more than you need.

As an aside, I don't know what you're growing, but I always have more trouble
with Heavenly Blues than any other varieties, although I insist on planting
them because they are the Essential Morning Glory. But I also grow Scarlet
O'Hara and a whole mess of other smaller-flowered varieties (e.g., Star of
Yelta) that have many fewer problems and bloom earlier.

Good luck.....and enjoy.
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7
Old 27-06-2003, 08:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

oway (Tyra Trevellyn) wrote:

Wow thanks for the thorough (that spelling looks weird) response.
First of all, it's the nature of morning glories to lose their first leaves
(think baby teeth) by yellowing/browning off. Simply cut them off when they
start to look bad. If the vine is growing strongly, lower-leaf dieback isn't
an indication of a problem.

Okay--although the upper vines are growing and one is winding up more
than an 18" length they haven't fulled out with much foliage yet.

Second, morning glories aren't heavy feeders at all, but they do like a shot of
very mild liquid feed a couple of times a season, and this is particularly
necessary if you've got them growing in containers.

Third, water them before they get too dry. Water stress (too much or too
little) will cause weak plants. Morning glories have lots of very fine roots
and don't store moisture; this combined with lots of thin, large leaves can
make them thirsty. However, even with the best care they do tend to wilt
temporarily when hit with bright sun; best to see if the soil is still damp
before watering them again. (You should have them in a very well-draining mix
so that even some overwatering won't hurt them.)

These (Heavenly Blues) actually fought off some fungus from the daily
soaking of the wet cold spring when they were just two-leaf seedlings.
I had to take them inside for a few days to dry them out and let them
recover. Each one was affected to different amounts, the least
affected is my most vigorous 18-24", the most... a stunted little guy
not even climbing yet(4-5"). A clear example how early disease can
affect the growth of the plant for weeks to come.

Different varieties of morning glory behave differently and some tend to have
leaf problems even if they're otherwise healthy and blooming. They're also
subject to flea beetle damage....little holes in the leaves.....but this is

That brings up another observation. SOme of the green leaves have
...well they are missing pieces on the sides of the leaf. Now this
isn't like slug or insects eating them...I've seen that and it looks
different. It is very clean and the edges of the missing pieces curl
downward. The edges looks healthy and green and almost
natural...except deformed. They don't seem to start that way. Could
this be lingering effect of the fungus? The first leaves after the
fungus cleared up were short and deformed. One side of a leaf would be
smaller than the other...stunted.

only for a relatively brief period, so don't think about spraying or other
insecticidal treatment; it's not necessary and probably not useful. A mist of
water from the hose can be useful in general, but don't do this when the sun is
hitting 'em. I believe that I've had some good results with using a mild
fertilizer as a foliar spray, as well (also, not when the sun's gonna hit
them).

Next, morning glories do need full or nearly-full sun.....at least five hours a
day, starting in the morning.

This may be an issue. The overhang of the house is very large and
giving it shade, particularly during midday now that the sun is higher
overhead. A nearby Nasturtium is growing overly tall and reaching
forward--into more consistent sunlight. I will choose different plants
for this area next time. Something that will enjoy the moving shade.

Last, always plant more than you need.

I planted four, wanted two. I got three. One is growing well, one
so-so, one kinda sad but he's trying so I haven't had the heart to
yank him.

As an aside, I don't know what you're growing, but I always have more trouble
with Heavenly Blues than any other varieties, although I insist on planting
them because they are the Essential Morning Glory. But I also grow Scarlet
O'Hara and a whole mess of other smaller-flowered varieties (e.g., Star of
Yelta) that have many fewer problems and bloom earlier.

Hopefully I will get to see some blooms and decide if I want to keep
growing it. Next year I was thinking of the President Tyler...A rich
deep blue from photos. ANy experience with them?

Good luck.....and enjoy.
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 27-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: DigitalVinyl
Date: Fri, Jun 27, 2003 3:41 PM
(Tyra Trevellyn) wrote:

Wow thanks for the thorough (that spelling looks weird) response.
First of all, it's the nature of morning glories to lose their first leaves
(think baby teeth) by yellowing/browning off. Simply cut them off when

they
start to look bad. If the vine is growing strongly, lower-leaf dieback

isn't
an indication of a problem.

Okay--although the upper vines are growing and one is winding up more
than an 18" length they haven't fulled out with much foliage yet.

If you've got 18" vines, they're longer than my HBs so far. The weather set
mine back completely to start (I lost almost all my first planting and had to
start again). So you have more than a fighting chance, I would say, because
it's not the first time I've gone from slow to slower and then onward to
blooms.

[...]

Yep......! It would seem that if they survived all that they have a good shot.
As I mentioned above, most of mine (started outdoors in containers and in the
ground) didn't make it in the cold wet spring. The latest ones are putting on
growth and should be fine.

[...]

Hard to say, but I know that some birds will bite off pieces of leaves to use
in their nests. The damage looks pretty neat, as you describe.

[...]

Nasturtiums also need full sun and will be leggy without it, with few blooms.
You might want to consider finding a way to attach the morning glory support
strings up and away from the overhang, so if the plants get that far they'll be
much happier.

Last, always plant more than you need.

I planted four, wanted two. I got three. One is growing well, one
so-so, one kinda sad but he's trying so I haven't had the heart to
yank him.

As an aside, I don't know what you're growing, but I always have more trouble
with Heavenly Blues than any other varieties, although I insist on planting
them because they are the Essential Morning Glory. But I also grow Scarlet
O'Hara and a whole mess of other smaller-flowered varieties (e.g., Star

of
Yelta) that have many fewer problems and bloom earlier.

Hopefully I will get to see some blooms and decide if I want to keep
growing it. Next year I was thinking of the President Tyler...A rich
deep blue from photos. ANy experience with them?

President Tyler is a fast grower and quite pretty, as is Star of Yelta [sic];
both are purplish-blue with smaller flowers than HB. I suggest that you start
some NOW (in a sunny spot). You have a long growing season, morning glories are
wonderful for September blooms and will carry on until it gets close to frost.
See if you can find some seeds (a morning glory mix will usually contain these,
even if you can't get the named varieties). You can also email me.....I may
have a few seeds from these left from last year's plants.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7b

Old 28-06-2003, 10:32 PM
19:09:05:13

Hi there,

Before I respond to a part of your message, let me describe
my Morning Glories: I've got five of them, they're all in a single
pot of soil (10ltr), but each of them has branched into several
fast-climbing strings with countless leaves on em. They are
grown from seeds I saved from a single large plant I grew
several years ago. They get full sunlight from dawn till about
2 p.m. (about 8 hours) and insist on getting lots of water in
the evening. They've amazed me throughout the past two
weeks (they suddenly started growing like there's no tomorrow)
and they keep amazing me: spewing forth leaves on end and
gaining inches in height every day. Some of its newer strings
are growing up the older ones in a circular fashion. I know
them as 'Ipomoea Purpurae' and thought they were the ones
known as 'heavenly blue' but they are not.

As an aside, I don't know what you're growing, but I always have more

trouble
with Heavenly Blues than any other varieties, although I insist on

planting
them because they are the Essential Morning Glory. But I also grow

Scarlet

My dad is growing these Heavenly Blues and he is growing them in his
garden. You might expect them to do better than mine (in a fairly small
container) but they still haven't grown beyond the 'two leaves stage' (so
they propably won't make it at all). I'll give them a go next year to see
if they too prefer my balcony over his garden

Tyra Trevellyn wrote in

Old 28-06-2003, 10:32 PM
19:09:05:13

Hi there,

This may be an issue. The overhang of the house is very large and
giving it shade, particularly during midday now that the sun is higher
overhead. A nearby Nasturtium is growing overly tall and reaching
forward--into more consistent sunlight. I will choose different plants
for this area next time. Something that will enjoy the moving shade.

Might I suggest Passion Flower? At first I wanted to grow them
on my balcony but they can't stand hours of sunlight. They seem
to climb in the same rate too, somewhat more fragile but still
very, very fast.

DigitalVinyl wrote in