Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Hank

Default Ants on my Kalanchoe

Do ants pose a problem on my kalanchoe? This is the plant's first
season outside.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Ants pose a problem if they are farming aphids on your plants. Take a closer
look and see.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:56 AM
dstvns

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:45:36 -0500, Hank wrote:

Do ants pose a problem on my kalanchoe? This is the plant's first
season outside.

Ants on my citrus usually coincide with the deterioration of the plant
(ie yellowing leaves). I mix borax with sugar and leave it around the
surface...this will kill the ants. Throwing mint around the area and
smearing it over everything will also make the ants very unhappy.

Dan

Old 02-07-2003, 12:08 AM
thoranw

I've seen ants on several of my plants outside- and it usually seems to
follow that the plant looks eaten, etc. You say "farming" aphids? Today I
noticed some browns ants (pardon my general vocabulary- I like flowers,
they're pretty. I don't really like getting technical) that were
"cultivating (?)" some black spots on the stem of one of the flowers that is
often eaten. (I've forgotten what the name of the flower was, its a yellow
flowering perennial, grows to be about 30" tall, the leaves are rather
feathery and it reseeds itself. The ants grow the aphids? To eat? To help
harvest the plant? I've never heard of this and other people have told me
the ants pose no threat to the plant...

Since you seem to be a knowledgeable, please enlighten me.
Thanks- Sonya
. ..

Hank wrote in message
Do ants pose a problem on my kalanchoe? This is the plant's first
season outside.

Thanks

[IMG] code is On

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 08:13 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Kalanchoe tubiflora Frogleg Gardening 0 04-04-2003 09:32 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 03:32 PM
Question about Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana Natty_Dread Gardening 2 06-03-2003 05:15 PM