Old 04-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Zemedelec

Default Did I find the Burning Bush?

Yesterday I was driving home a day after one of our typical heavy rainstorms
(big oaks fall down, 100.000 people lose power, etc.) and nearly skidded to a
halt at the sight of a plant I'd never seen before--about 3 feet high and
almost as wide, bright magenta, lemon yellow and touches of green. Omigod--the
storm had also torn off a good sized piece onto the sidewalk and it wasn't yet
wilted. I parked the car and made off with the fallen stem. Now I have time
to look at it I think it's some sort of coleus, but not like one I've ever
seen--even Alabama Sunset. AKA Bellingrath Pink, etc. The smallest leaves are
lemon yellow, almost chartreus; the medium ones are a hot, hot magenta and the
largest of all are dark green with a magenta tinge to the underside. The edges
are slightly scalloped, but the leaves are also sort of wavy and not as firm as
coleus usually is. And some of the yellow and the magenta leaves still have
dark green tips. The whole plant had a bushy, uprushing, assymetrical
appearance and was in full sun. Any guesses as to what I rescued and am going
to try to propagate?
zemedelec
Old 04-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Zemedelec wrote:
[...]

Could it be an Amaranthus tri color sometimes referred to as
Joseph's Coat.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Tom Randy

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:31:36 -0400, Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

Zemedelec wrote:
[...]

Otherwize known as the summer pointsetta. The seeds are VERY TINY but they
are fairly easy to start. VERY cool plant!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Zemedelec

Any guesses as to what I rescued and am going to try to propagate?
zemedelec

Could it be an Amaranthus tri color sometimes referred to as Joseph's
Coat.

Otherwize known as the summer pointsetta. The seeds are VERY TINY but they
are fairly easy to start. VERY cool plant!

Thanks to both of you! I was going to start it from cuttings--seeds don't seem
to like me (with the exception of marigolds and zinnias) but this is such a
spectacular creature that I'll check it out again for seeds.

zemedelec

[IMG] code is On

rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Burning Bush question JWB Gardening 1 30-04-2003 08:32 PM
Burning Bush anyone? WSZsr Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Burning Bush anyone? WSZsr Texas 0 19-03-2003 11:56 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM