Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Mceezee

Default What ate all my bean plants

I had at least two rows of beans planted (20 to 25 plants in all). At first
something ate the "young" plants (an entire row). It left the older plants
alone until recently-now these are all gone. They look as if they have been
pulled down from under the ground. Is this moles or something else that ate
these plants? I know it isn't rabbits as they usually just nibble at the plant
and leave the stalks.

Any suggestions what I can do to keep my plants? I just planted another entire
row of beans today.
Old 05-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Mceezee said:

I had at least two rows of beans planted (20 to 25 plants in all). At first
something ate the "young" plants (an entire row). It left the older plants
alone until recently-now these are all gone. They look as if they have been
pulled down from under the ground. Is this moles or something else that ate
these plants? I know it isn't rabbits as they usually just nibble at the plant
and leave the stalks.

Any suggestions what I can do to keep my plants? I just planted another entire
row of beans today.

You don't say where you are located. You could have pocket gophers. Or it
could be voles. However, I've had voles in my garden before and they never
much laid into the beans. (They've pulled corn plants under and defoliated
kohlrabi as well as deflowering squash plants.) Moles don't eat plants, but
mole tunnels can be used by voles ('meadow mice') to move through your
garden.

No gophers where I live, but the following might help.

http://eesc.orst.edu/agcomwebfile/ga...s/gophers.html
http://www.buginfo.com/furryguys/gophers3.cfm
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 05-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Mceezee

You don't say where you are located. You could have pocket gophers. Or it
could be voles. However, I've had voles in my garden before and they never
much laid into the beans. (They've pulled corn plants under and defoliated
kohlrabi

Thanks for the info - I couldn't imagine what could be eating these plants - I
never had a problem such as this before (I know we have had moles in the past)
but nothing has ever eaten the plants like this year.

Thanks again.