Old 06-07-2003, 03:20 AM
John DeBoo

Default Sunflowers

I have 38 of these wonderful plants growing in my backyard ranging
in height from 3' to about 8'. Some are blooming and many are ready
to. All seem to produce one just one flower, at the top of the
stem. However I have one that appears to be contrary to what the
rest of them do. This bad boy has 16 buds on it so far that appear
like they'll become flowers. None of the other plants have this.
One at the top is opening as of tonight but the rest are identical
to it, just not open - yet. There are 6 of these are near the top
where it has forked several times leaving the bud at the very end of
each of the forks. The rest are at the very end of lower branches
that already have huge leaves. Is it abnormal for a sunflower to
produce more than 1 head?

Zone 7, Albuquerque - variety is Mammoth

Old 06-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Penny Morgan

You probably got a seed of a multi-branching type sunflower. I used to
plant just that type for cutting and putting them in vases. Love to mix
deep burgundy, bright yellow, and soft yellows and give them as gifts to
friends. The more you cut the top flowers, the more branching will continue
through the summer. Yellow finches love to hang on them also. I grew a few
of the Giant Greystoke (large singular head), but they always got very top
heavy compared to the multi-branching type. Mine also seeded new ones each
year from seeds dropping below.

Enjoy your bouquets!!

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

Old 06-07-2003, 06:56 PM
Gloria Lenon

My sunflowers always get eaten by the monk parrots. I have seen 6 of them
on one flower! I figure that I plant my stuff for the birds!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 06-07-2003, 07:32 PM
FarmerDill

I have 38 of these wonderful plants growing in my backyard ranging
in height from 3' to about 8'. Some are blooming and many are ready
to. All seem to produce one just one flower, at the top of the
stem. However I have one that appears to be contrary to what the
rest of them do. This bad boy has 16 buds on it so far that appear
like they'll become flowers. None of the other plants have this.
One at the top is opening as of tonight but the rest are identical
to it, just not open - yet. There are 6 of these are near the top
where it has forked several times leaving the bud at the very end of
each of the forks. The rest are at the very end of lower branches
that already have huge leaves. Is it abnormal for a sunflower to
produce more than 1 head?

Zone 7, Albuquerque - variety is Mammoth

Since you planted a large head or grain sunflower (generic term - Russian) you
probable got a stray seed of the more common multiflora sunflowers, which are
widely grown as a flower. This type is used in a lot of bird seed mixes so that
could also be a source,

Old 07-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

John DeBoo wrote:

I have 38 of these wonderful plants growing in my backyard ranging
in height from 3' to about 8'. Some are blooming and many are ready
to. All seem to produce one just one flower, at the top of the
stem. However I have one that appears to be contrary to what the
rest of them do. This bad boy has 16 buds on it so far that appear
like they'll become flowers. None of the other plants have this.
One at the top is opening as of tonight but the rest are identical
to it, just not open - yet. There are 6 of these are near the top
where it has forked several times leaving the bud at the very end of
each of the forks. The rest are at the very end of lower branches
that already have huge leaves. Is it abnormal for a sunflower to
produce more than 1 head?

Zone 7, Albuquerque - variety is Mammoth

Regressive mutation. The older Russian mammoth strain is unstable, tends
regularly to revert to ancestral multiflora form. If you find the trait
appealing, Autumn Beauty is an unbeatable, reliable multiflora with a nice
range of hues from yellow to red. Absolute goldfinch magnet, too.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Julia Altshuler

John DeBoo wrote:

Is it abnormal for a sunflower to
produce more than 1 head?

Not at all. Johnny's seeds, for example, sells seeds for a whole variety of
sunflowers. Some branch; some produce one flower. A few years ago I bought a
small packet of each sort and loved all the different heights, colors and
flowers.

--Lia
Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
John DeBoo

From: John DeBoo

have 38 of these wonderful plants growing in my backyard ranging
in height from 3' to about 8'. Some are blooming and many are ready
to. All seem to produce one just one flower, at the top of the
stem. However I have one that appears to be contrary to what the
rest of them do. This bad boy has 16 buds on it so far that appear
like they'll become flowers. None of the other plants have this.
One at the top is opening as of tonight but the rest are identical
to it, just not open - yet. There are 6 of these are near the top
where it has forked several times leaving the bud at the very end of
each of the forks. The rest are at the very end of lower branches
that already have huge leaves. Is it abnormal for a sunflower to
produce more than 1 head?

Zone 7, Albuquerque - variety is Mammoth

John you may have a sport--a natural mutation- sometimes these mutations can
lead to a completely new variety, some of which may be quite valuable. Kep a
close watch on this plant and observe it's characteristics. And SAVE THE SEED!
I am not familar with all the varieties of sunflower so this could be just a
stray seed of a known variety but unless you can identify it as such a sport is
possible.

Good advice seed saving. I'll do that for sure. The plant is
healthy as all get out and the stalk as like 1.5" think at the base
& 7' tall. Now to keep the birds away from it and munching the
other 37 plantsG.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
John DeBoo

Gloria Lenon wrote:
My sunflowers always get eaten by the monk parrots. I have seen 6 of them
on one flower! I figure that I plant my stuff for the birds!

I planted mine for something tall along a back fence and for the
birds (I love critters) and sure got my moneys worth this year. I
swear, every seed produced a plant! Now if my MinPin would only
leave my 'maters alonesigh.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Dwight Sipler

Frankhartx wrote:

...John you may have a sport--a natural mutation- sometimes these mutations can
lead to a completely new variety, some of which may be quite valuable. Kep a
close watch on this plant and observe it's characteristics. And SAVE THE SEED!
I am not familar with all the varieties of sunflower so this could be just a
stray seed of a known variety but unless you can identify it as such a sport is
possible...

Another possibility is that (assuming you purchased the seed), you got a
multibranched variety mixed in with the seed you wanted. Save the seed
if the new variety is worth growing again. However, if it's a hybrid,
you may not get exactly the same thing next year.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:20 PM
John DeBoo

Dwight Sipler wrote:
Frankhartx wrote:

...John you may have a sport--a natural mutation- sometimes these mutations can
lead to a completely new variety, some of which may be quite valuable. Kep a
close watch on this plant and observe it's characteristics. And SAVE THE SEED!
I am not familar with all the varieties of sunflower so this could be just a
stray seed of a known variety but unless you can identify it as such a sport is
possible...

Another possibility is that (assuming you purchased the seed), you got a
multibranched variety mixed in with the seed you wanted. Save the seed
if the new variety is worth growing again. However, if it's a hybrid,
you may not get exactly the same thing next year.

I'm pretty sure that its one from a pkg I got early this year,
however there's a slight chance its from one plant that grew last
year (variety unknown). Either way I hope to plant them again next
year. Even if they only produce 1 head/plant, they are wonderful to
look at and provide some nice foliage, plus the bees and butterflies
love them, and the cosmos etc etc.