Old 07-07-2003, 02:44 AM
Bill

Default Zucchinni Question

Well I am now getting lots of small zucchinis. Problem is the blossom falls
off then the small zucchini's turns yellow and just rots away. Anyone have
any ideas?

Old 07-07-2003, 02:56 AM
B & J

"Bill" wrote in message
Well I am now getting lots of small zucchinis. Problem is the blossom

falls
off then the small zucchini's turns yellow and just rots away. Anyone

have
any ideas?

They're not being pollinated. You need to find a way to attract bees for
pollination or do the pollination yourself with an artist's brush from the
male to the female blossoms in the morning when the blossoms are open.

John

Old 07-07-2003, 04:57 AM
John DeBoo

B & J wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

Well I am now getting lots of small zucchinis. Problem is the blossom

falls

off then the small zucchini's turns yellow and just rots away. Anyone

have

any ideas?

They're not being pollinated. You need to find a way to attract bees for
pollination or do the pollination yourself with an artist's brush from the
male to the female blossoms in the morning when the blossoms are open.

Did that myself one year, even with an abundance of bees. I used a
Q-tip. Worked great! Rub around inside the male flower, then
inside the female flower.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
David Hill

"..... Rub around inside the male flower, then inside the female flower.
......"

or even pick a ripe male flower remove the petal and insert the single male
part into the female flower.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-07-2003, 11:56 AM
Dwight Sipler

B & J wrote:

...They're not being pollinated. You need to find a way to attract bees for
pollination or do the pollination yourself with an artist's brush from the
male to the female blossoms in the morning when the blossoms are open...

Since the flowers look similar to those unfamiliar with zucchini
flowers, the male flowers are on long stems and the female flowers are
close to the vine.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 PM
John DeBoo

Dwight Sipler wrote:
B & J wrote:

...They're not being pollinated. You need to find a way to attract bees for
pollination or do the pollination yourself with an artist's brush from the
male to the female blossoms in the morning when the blossoms are open...

Since the flowers look similar to those unfamiliar with zucchini
flowers, the male flowers are on long stems and the female flowers are
close to the vine.

The females also are the ones with the small fruit just below the
flower as opposed to the males which have only a long stem.

Old 07-07-2003, 08:33 PM
Julia Altshuler

clc wrote:

Thanks - I was just about to ask...

There's another way to fertilize if you're still unsure. Take your brush or
Q-tip and rub it around each flower in turn-- twice. That way, if you start
with a male, you'll fertilize all the females. If you start with a female,
you'll still get back to her after getting pollen from a male. This would be
time consuming if you had rows and rows of zucchini plants, but I only have the
one whiskey barrel so it works for me.

--Lia
Old 16-07-2003, 06:04 AM
*sparkie*@ptd.net

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 20:59:44 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
Well I am now getting lots of small zucchinis. Problem is the blossom

falls
off then the small zucchini's turns yellow and just rots away. Anyone

have
any ideas?

They're not being pollinated. You need to find a way to attract bees for
pollination or do the pollination yourself with an artist's brush from the
male to the female blossoms in the morning when the blossoms are open.

John

I'm curious how ealry in the morning. I was out there at 7:30AM this
morning and none of the female flowers were open. Could it be that
they were too far advanced to be open? Or some other reason?

thanks,
sparkie