Old 10-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Default Love my Mulberry tree!!!

With all the bad press of a mulberry tree (Morus nigra), I want to give it a
Yes vote. The tree is only 3 years old and giving us a bumper crop this
year! Every morning, I eat breakfast at this wonderful tree. We did plant
it where no one walks under the tree, so the fruit that falls doesn't cause
a mess.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

"Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Wendy Kelly Budd"
writes:

With all the bad press of a mulberry tree (Morus nigra), I want to give it a
Yes vote. The tree is only 3 years old and giving us a bumper crop this
year! Every morning, I eat breakfast at this wonderful tree. We did plant
it where no one walks under the tree, so the fruit that falls doesn't cause
a mess.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

Just wait until it gets large enough that the Cedar Waxwings discover it,
and you have "purple rain" all day for weeks!!! :^)

Emilie
also in NorCal
Old 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Dan Kaiser

My Mulberry tree produces white fruit. They really have little or no taste, but
are very sweet. Is this, indeed, a type of Mulberry?
Old 10-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Wendy Kelly Budd

Oh,no!!!! Do they eat the leaves also?

--
Wendy* in N. California,
"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a

Old 10-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Dan Kaiser said:

My Mulberry tree produces white fruit. They really have little or no taste, but
are very sweet. Is this, indeed, a type of Mulberry?

Possibly Morus alba (white mulberry) which can be anywhere from white to red
to deep purple when ripe.

M. alba very winter hardy. M. nigra is best for fruit quality (from everything I've
ever read) but is not reliably winter hardy in the north.

M. rubra (red mulberry) is a North American native that has unfortunately been
nearly eliminated by hybridization/competition with M. alba.

I make jelly with mulberries (black-ripening M. alba) every year.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Wendy Kelly Budd wrote:
Oh,no!!!! Do they eat the leaves also?

--
Wendy* in N. California,
"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a
relative." Mordecai Siegal

"MLEBLANCA" wrote in message

In article , "Wendy Kelly Budd"
writes:

With all the bad press of a mulberry tree (Morus nigra), I want to give

it a

Yes vote. The tree is only 3 years old and giving us a bumper crop this
year! Every morning, I eat breakfast at this wonderful tree. We did

plant

it where no one walks under the tree, so the fruit that falls doesn't

cause

a mess.
--
Wendy* in N. California,

Just wait until it gets large enough that the Cedar Waxwings discover it,
and you have "purple rain" all day for weeks!!! :^)

Emilie
also in NorCal

Groundhogs love mulberries too. We have one at
the bottom of our lot. The groundhog actually
climbs the tree for the berries. Once he fell
on his head - it only stunned him slightly. He
shook himself and slowly walked away. He puts
on a show every year going far out on limbs. We
just wait for him to fall again.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Jen in Chicago

Darnit!! Lost my first post cause I hit the back button rather than
Post msg!! Grrr...

Anyway, no silly, Cedar Waxwings are a really beautiful little bird.
They're shaped like a Cardinal but about the size of a Sparrow.
They're berry eating birds and they travel in flocks of about 30.

Here's a really good article and a pic (to see the full body shot,
click the plus sign under the headshot):
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Conservati...edar%20Waxwing

Enjoy your mulberries, I love them too!

J near Chicago

Old 11-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Salty Thumb

Bonnie Espenshade wrote in
:

Groundhogs love mulberries too. We have one at
the bottom of our lot. The groundhog actually
climbs the tree for the berries. Once he fell
on his head - it only stunned him slightly. He
shook himself and slowly walked away. He puts
on a show every year going far out on limbs. We
just wait for him to fall again.

have you figured out what that means with regards to weather? :-)

I think a groundhog knocking himself on the head would be worth at least
a few extra weeks of summer rain. I wonder if he saw your shadow?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Bonnie Espenshade said:

Groundhogs love mulberries too. We have one at
the bottom of our lot. The groundhog actually
climbs the tree for the berries.

Not just the berries, either. They love the leaves. The
whole plant is like candy to them.

The last groundhog that got into the veggie garden (before
I reinforced the bottom of the fence) spent the morning eating
the mulberry leaves from the shoots I hadn't gotten around
to trimming back on one fenceline.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)