Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Sanford Levy

Default Raised Garden Beds

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds.
I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three
questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason
to prefer cedar over redwood? I notice that most commercial wooden
raised beds are cedar. Second, is it necessary or helpful to seal the
wood somehow, particularly the ends? Third, is it necessary or helpful
to lay down a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage? Some
things I have read say yes, but others seem to say you should not so
that plants with deep roots can get down to the native soil if they need
to. Thanks in advance for your advice! Sanford.