Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Sanford Levy

Default Raised Garden Beds

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds.
I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three
questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason
to prefer cedar over redwood? I notice that most commercial wooden
raised beds are cedar. Second, is it necessary or helpful to seal the
wood somehow, particularly the ends? Third, is it necessary or helpful
to lay down a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage? Some
things I have read say yes, but others seem to say you should not so
that plants with deep roots can get down to the native soil if they need
to. Thanks in advance for your advice! Sanford.

Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
pelirojaroja

Hello,

1. No preference to cedar over redwood, in my opinion. Use what you like.
2. Sealing is a good idea to prevent rot.
3. Don't use the gravel -- not necessary, since raising the bed in itself
provides the required drainage.

HTH,
-- pelirojaroja
"There is a garden in every childhood,
an enchanted place where colors are brighter,
the air softer, and the morning more fragrant
than ever again."

-- Elizabeth Lawrence

Old 13-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Sanford Levy

I have read the copper naphthenate is a good preservative for this sort
of use, but does anyone know how it does in a vegetable garden? Does it
get into the food at all?

Old 14-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Tom Randy

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:17:49 -0400, Sanford Levy wrote:

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds.
I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three
questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason to
prefer cedar over redwood?
I notice that most commercial wooden raised
beds are cedar.

Not sure myself, longer lasting maybe?

Second, is it necessary or helpful to seal the wood
somehow, particularly the ends?

If it's for a veggie garden *I* would personally not treat the wood at
all. For flowers I'd say yes since you won't be eating them.

Third, is it necessary or helpful to lay
down a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage? Some things I
have read say yes, but others seem to say you should not so that plants
with deep roots can get down to the native soil if they need to. Thanks
in advance for your advice! Sanford.

I never bothered with gravel. It's not needed.

Raised beds are great, you'll love them!
Old 14-07-2003, 03:22 AM
vincent p. norris

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:17:49 -0600, Sanford Levy
wrote:

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds.
I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three
questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason
to prefer cedar over redwood?

I used concrete blocks. No need to treat them. I got "defective"
blocks f rom a nearby supplier for very little.

vince norris

Old 14-07-2003, 04:22 AM
JNJ

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds.
I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three
questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason
to prefer cedar over redwood? I notice that most commercial wooden
raised beds are cedar. Second, is it necessary or helpful to seal the
wood somehow, particularly the ends? Third, is it necessary or helpful
to lay down a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage? Some
things I have read say yes, but others seem to say you should not so
that plants with deep roots can get down to the native soil if they need
to. Thanks in advance for your advice! Sanford.

Cedar vs. Redwood -- Longevity and cost. In the big scheme of things it
likely will not matter.

Sealing the wood/ends -- Helps ease rot a bit, but many beds do not bother.
I'd shy away from any chemicals though -- who wants that in any garden?

Gravel -- Nah, don't bother. It's not necessary.

James

Old 15-07-2003, 05:02 PM

you could get lumber treated with boric acid. that keeps out fungus and insects. it
is used to build wood basements. Ingrid

Sanford Levy wrote:

Hi, hope someone can help. I am going to make some raised garden beds.
I did a search on this group and did not get any hits. I have three
questions I hope someone can help me with. First, is there any reason
to prefer cedar over redwood? I notice that most commercial wooden
raised beds are cedar. Second, is it necessary or helpful to seal the
wood somehow, particularly the ends? Third, is it necessary or helpful
to lay down a few inches of gravel on the bottom for drainage? Some
things I have read say yes, but others seem to say you should not so
that plants with deep roots can get down to the native soil if they need
to. Thanks in advance for your advice! Sanford.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.