Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Willondon

Default Where to put compost bin?

I just started composting with a plastic bin designed for compost, and
I've placed it in a very small yard, near our wooden deck, and the
open-slat fence with our neighbour. It's a combination of kitchen scraps
and green yard waste, with some feeble attempts to mix and add brown
material as I can.

So far I have many fruit flies, and not much else. The smell isn't bad.
The bin is closed against the ground, but is open to earth at the bottom,
of course. It's also on high, but level ground.

Should a compost bin be placed farther away from civilization?
What problems should I be looking for?
(no carnivore waste, so no rodents, raccoons, etc. so far)

--
Willondon