Old 31-07-2007, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Blight - Should I put plants in green wheely bin?

I wonder if it will cause anyone any problems if tomato plants with
blight are put into the green wheely bin? (The council take this stuff
away to make compost - is the compost sterilised somehow?)

Or should I just cut the plants down, let them dry and then burn them?
(which would be a risk for letting the fungus get into the soil??)

Thanks in Advance

Mark

Old 31-07-2007, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mark Radley writes:
| I wonder if it will cause anyone any problems if tomato plants with
| blight are put into the green wheely bin? (The council take this stuff
| away to make compost - is the compost sterilised somehow?)

It doesn't matter. Blight spores overwinter only in living material.
I compost mine, and have had no problems arising from that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-07-2007, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

I wonder if it will cause anyone any problems if tomato
plants with blight are put into the green wheely bin? (The
council take this stuff away to make compost - is the
compost sterilised somehow?)

Well public green waste will rot under favourable
conditions..

Or should I just cut the plants down, let them dry and
then burn them?

Hm.., this is exactly what we're used to do..!

(which would be a risk for letting the fungus get into
the soil??)

Hard to say but it is said it were already omnipresent in
many regions. We lived for a long while in a main area of
potato growing but we had never probs with the tomatoes in
pots that stood close to an external wall in south-west
direction under the eaves of the house..

Do you think about crop rotation..?

--
cu
Marco
Old 31-07-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Marco Schwarz writes:

| Do you think about crop rotation..?

Rarely worthwhile on a domestic scale, and never worthwhile for
diseases like blight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.