Old 15-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Coffee

Default clematis

Is there any thing I can do to keep the clematis in bloom during the summer?
It blooms great late spring then seems to fall back mid summer(eastern PA)
Patty

Old 15-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Tracey

Is there any thing I can do to keep the clematis in
bloom during the summer?

Probably not. Or, maybe more accurately, if you *do*
find a way to keep it in bloom all summer long (at
least with a lot of blooms, mine seemed to have
occasional blooms on them most of the summer), you'll
be risking weakening the plant, maybe to the point
where it will die over the winter and/or risking
*next* year's blooms.

I'm not an expert and will defer to any dissenting
opinions, but, from what I've read on clematises,
they are generally 'certain parts of the year' only
bloomers. Some bloom in the late spring/early summer
and spend the rest of the summer putting out new
growth for next year's blooms. Some bloom in the late
summer, using the new growth from spring to their
bloomtime to put out their blooms. There's another
period or two where certain clematises will bloom,
IIRC, but it seems to me that I haven't read of
clematises that bloom the entire growing season.

Tracey

Old 15-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Suja

Coffee wrote:

Is there any thing I can do to keep the clematis in bloom during the summer?
It blooms great late spring then seems to fall back mid summer(eastern PA)

The type of clematis you have, and the group that it falls into
basically determines when it blooms. It is possible to use pruning
methods to shift the bloom periods. Although this doesn't directly
address your question, you can find more information about various
groups of clematis he
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/c...824028038.html

Suja
Old 15-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:27:32 GMT, "Coffee"
wrote:

Is there any thing I can do to keep the clematis in bloom during the summer?
It blooms great late spring then seems to fall back mid summer(eastern PA)
Patty

It probably is supposed to do that. I have three varieties growing on
one trellis. One blooms in the spring, and the other two in late
summer.

Old 16-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Pam

Coffee wrote:

Is there any thing I can do to keep the clematis in bloom during the summer?
It blooms great late spring then seems to fall back mid summer(eastern PA)
Patty

Various clematis types and species have different bloom periods, so there is not
a great deal you can do to encourage them to bloom when they are out of season.
OTOH, there are a number of late spring blooming clematis that will offer
periodic rebloom throughout the summer - 'Nelly Moser' for example. If you prune
the plant back lightly after the first flush of bloom, fertilize and keep well
watered, you should be rewarded with additional summer flowering. The summer
bloom flush is usually not as prolific as the spring bloom, however.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-07-2003, 08:52 PM
GrampysGurl

Is there any thing I can do to keep the clematis in bloom during the summer?
It blooms great late spring then seems to fall back mid summer(eastern PA)
Patty

I have 3 clematis growing together that all bloom at different times... My
Nelly Moser is just finishing up, my hot pink one will be next and then closer
to the fall is my red one.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut