Old 17-04-2009, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis advice

On Apr 17, 8:22*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:25:07 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:46*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article aaab4119-fb50-4664-8586-
,
says... Thanks Charlie, I looked at them in your catalogue and I notice they
all say prune hard. * Will they cover an area of wall each year that I
want covered if I have to prune it back on an annual basis?

Judith

If you imagine something roughly pear shaped (narrower at the base) and
around 15 feet high thats what they will do each year, but each winter
they are chopped back. so if you want permant cover you will need
something like roses, (there are not too many very hardy climbers that
will flower on a north wall)

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Thanks Charlie, back to the drawing board.

We have Clematis Armandii covering a trellis fence.http://fichas.infojardin.com/foto-tr...C/clem_arm.cfm

It is in flower and survived the very cold winter without any damage.
It covered about 5x3 metres of fence in two seasons.
--

Martin

Martin, how lovely do you have any more pics of your garden? I got
your email and I am green with envy.

Judith.