Old 16-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Tony

Default Help--Cranberry Hibiscus--won't bloom

I have a cranberry hibiscus that I put in this year. It started out 1 G.
pot size, and is now close to 6 feet tall. It has spread nicely, has a good
overall shape, and seems very healthy.

The only problem I have--it won't bloom. Not once over the past few months
has it set any blooms. It is planted in good soil and on a few occasions
I've used a bloom booster fertilizer on it.

Can anyone recommend a way to entice this plant to bloom?

Tony

Old 17-07-2003, 01:53 AM
V_coerulea

If what you mean by "cranberry hibiscus" is Hibiscus sabdariffa, then this
is the stuff red zinger is made from and it doesn't flower until fall. The
foliage is somewhat reminescent of marijuana and the plants can easily grow
10-12' tall. After flowering, the red calyx is what's harvested for
flavoring. Hope you have a nice long growing season so you can get the max
out of your crop.
Gary

Old 22-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Tony

It is in a area where it is shaded a portion of the day. It gets fairly
full sun from midday on.

Tony

"Tracey" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a way to entice this plant to bloom?

How much sun is it getting?

Tracey

Old 22-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Tracey

Try this link, Tony.

http://www.echonet.org/tropicalag/kn.../edn_73_8.html

If you read down a bit, it says it blooms only during 'short days'
and mentions that it blooms in September in whatever zone the
author is in. So, that seems to be your answer, it's not time for
it to bloom yet.

Tracey

[IMG] code is On

Sowing cranberry seeds Jaques d'Alltrades United Kingdom 5 03-11-2005 06:20 PM
cranberry questions [email protected] United Kingdom 4 15-04-2004 10:35 AM
American Cranberry Bush Joe Gardening 4 18-09-2003 03:22 AM
Help--Cranberry Hibiscus--won't bloom Tracey Gardening 0 16-07-2003 06:14 PM
Hibiscus Won't Bloom - Indoors Rick Long Gardening 0 22-04-2003 05:08 AM