Old 31-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Sowing cranberry seeds

Rearranging the deep freeze to accept fifteen assorted gamebirds, tied
up in carrier bags until I've time to pluck and draw them, I came across
some big fat cranberries running loose at the bottom.

Capturing them, and using them as sort-of bite-sized ice-lollies, I
ended up with about twenty seeds.

I'd think that cranberry seeds would survive the cold, so, has anyone
got any pointers for planting them? I'd guess that close to the surface
on damp ericaceous compost should be right, but, outside now, or inside?

If any come up, will they need greenhouse conditions? They are the big,
almost cherry-sized ones from the US.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 AM
middleton.walker

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
I came across
some big fat cranberries running loose at the bottom.

, I ended up with about twenty seeds.

I'd think that cranberry seeds would survive the cold, so, has anyone
got any pointers for planting them? I'd guess that close to the surface
on damp ericaceous compost should be right, but, outside now, or inside?

If any come up, will they need greenhouse conditions? They are the big,
almost cherry-sized ones from the US.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

I will check locally for you to see if I can come up with something...I know
that germinating them can be somewhat eratic and mostly are not propagated
via seed...but will do me best to come up with an answer.....they are native
plants around here and within 1/2 mile of where I live are acres upon acres
of them grown commercially....a beautiful sight to see in the fall when they
are being harvested....literally millions of them floating on the water....H

Old 01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "middleton.walker" contains these words:

I will check locally for you to see if I can come up with
something...I know
that germinating them can be somewhat eratic and mostly are not propagated
via seed...but will do me best to come up with an answer.....they are
native
plants around here and within 1/2 mile of where I live are acres upon acres
of them grown commercially....a beautiful sight to see in the fall
when they
are being harvested....literally millions of them floating on the
water....H

Thanks. How wet do the conditions have to be, then? Our native cranberry
likes damp ericaceous peat, but I've never seen it actually growing *IN*
water.

I wouldn't mind some blueberries the same size...

Old 01-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[...]

They don't actually grow them in water: they harvest the "cranberry
barrens" by hassling the plants and flodding (Flodding? This is no
time for Scottish history -- Ed.) er, flooding. The berries then
float and can be scooped.

--
Mike.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:28 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

They don't actually grow them in water: they harvest the "cranberry
barrens" by hassling the plants and flodding (Flodding? This is no
time for Scottish history -- Ed.) er, flooding. The berries then
float and can be scooped.

Ah. Ta. I don't anticipate such a scale, even if all the seeds germinate.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM
capstan

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
Rearranging the deep freeze to accept fifteen assorted gamebirds, tied
up in carrier bags until I've time to pluck and draw them, I came across
some big fat cranberries running loose at the bottom.

Capturing them, and using them as sort-of bite-sized ice-lollies, I
ended up with about twenty seeds.

I'd think that cranberry seeds would survive the cold, so, has anyone
got any pointers for planting them? I'd guess that close to the surface
on damp ericaceous compost should be right, but, outside now, or inside?

If any come up, will they need greenhouse conditions? They are the big,
almost cherry-sized ones from the US.

--
Rusty

There's some useful advice in ......"Cranberry Propagation" in Google.
I thought I might have a go when fresh pre-Xmas berries appear in the local
shops.

capstan

Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
cranberry questions [email protected] United Kingdom 4 15-04-2004 10:35 AM
American Cranberry Bush Joe Gardening 4 18-09-2003 03:22 AM
Help--Cranberry Hibiscus--won't bloom Tony Gardening 3 22-07-2003 02:03 PM
Help--Cranberry Hibiscus--won't bloom Tracey Gardening 0 16-07-2003 06:14 PM