Old 23-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Derack

Default Moles and lawns

Does anyone know an effective way to get rid of moles?

Old 23-07-2003, 04:22 AM
Dwayne

Put down a grub killer. Once they are gone, the moles will be gone also.

Dwayne

"Derack" wrote in message
. ca...
Does anyone know an effective way to get rid of moles?

Old 23-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Stu Redman

Will this work with gophers, too? Also, is there a sure-fire way to tell
the difference between gopher holes and mole holes?

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Put down a grub killer. Once they are gone, the moles will be gone also.

Dwayne

"Derack" wrote in message
. ca...
Does anyone know an effective way to get rid of moles?

Old 23-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Pat Keith

Moles push up a pile in the center like a volcano. Gophers push dirt to one
side of the hole. Moles eat insects. Gophers are vegetarians. Both can be
caught with cinch traps. Moles take a smaller trap. Instructions come with
the trap.

Old 28-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Paul Below

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:17:10 -0600, "Dwayne" wrote:

Put down a grub killer. Once they are gone, the moles will be gone also.

I seem to recall reading that moles eat earthworms. Do I remember
incorrectly?

Old 28-07-2003, 04:42 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:17:10 -0600, "Dwayne" wrote:

Put down a grub killer. Once they are gone, the moles will be gone also.

I seem to recall reading that moles eat earthworms. Do I remember
incorrectly?

The most common eastern mole eats primarily grubs, plus some worms and
snails and slugs and miscellaneous, but mainly grubs.

The most common western mole eats a greater ration of earthworms.

It's not so common that a mole selects a location that has ONLY worms, but
one with a mix of worms and grubs and slugs is prime mole territory. If
there is a super-abundance of moles in a miles-wide area, however, the
fact that they are highly territorial and do not permit interloping moles
may "trap" them between other moles' surrounding territories, so they're
stuck with poor eats. On such extreme occasions when they're stuck in a
place with poor pickins, they may make do with vegetable matter (i.e.,
grass roots and flower bulbs), but it's definitely not their usual thing.
With a good source of grubs and worms and slugs, about the only thing
vegetable oriented they would eat would be fungus (they clean
root-destroying insects funguses out of roots, saving the lives of many a
tree & shrub without the gardener even knowing they have a mole to thank
for the health of their garden). To closely paraphrase Sharon Lovejoy, the
rule of thumb is generally, "If you have moles, you need moles." See:
http://www.paghat.com/mole.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 06-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Ryarsh,Kent
Smile mole delicacies

Hi, just thought i'd add another tasty snack that moles love; ant eggs!! we have MAJOR mole problems here, and it would appear that they adore ant eggs. So if you have a lot of ants in your garden, they'll burrow at relatively shallow depths to get to them. Don't bother trying the 'sonic repellants', we've tried them, BIG TIME and they dont work! Cheeky blighters even dig around them! At the moment Spooky is trying a new idea of his, and if it works, believe me, there'll be a new post on this thread! Until we get results on Spooky's trap, we're still persisting with the English Spring Traps.
Good Luck anyway.