Old 29-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Vince \(Buffalo N.Y.\)

Default Potatoes ????

I live in western NY state, for thr first time I planted potatoes this
year, they are growing real well, I planted in rows , I heaped the soil over
them twice when they were small, When will I know when it's ready for
harvest time ?????? Thanks
great newsgroup

Old 29-07-2003, 03:32 AM
mtk

"Vince (Buffalo N.Y.)" wrote in message
I live in western NY state, for thr first time I planted potatoes this
year, they are growing real well, I planted in rows , I heaped the soil

over
them twice when they were small, When will I know when it's ready for
harvest time ?????? Thanks
great newsgroup

That will usually be when the tops die off, however I can never resist
poking around earlier and eating the new baby potatoes. Few make it to
maturity around here!

Old 29-07-2003, 06:32 PM
MacTech

"mtk" wrote in message ...
"Vince (Buffalo N.Y.)" wrote in message
I live in western NY state, for thr first time I planted potatoes this
year, they are growing real well, I planted in rows , I heaped the soil

over
them twice when they were small, When will I know when it's ready for
harvest time ?????? Thanks
great newsgroup

That will usually be when the tops die off, however I can never resist
poking around earlier and eating the new baby potatoes. Few make it to
maturity around here!

Potatoes are ready to dig when the vines dry up (early fall here in
Wisconsin). After the green vines have blossomed and the blossoms are
gone, you can dig up a few and eat "new potatoes." Just be aware that
the new potatoes will not keep for very long. If you want keepers, let
the vines dry out.

LeAnn

Share the view from Rural Route 2. . .
Christmas In Dairyland
http://ruralroute2.com
Old 06-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Peppergirl

I have grown potatoes too, and you do have to wait till the potatoes tops
die off. I have a few baby ones now, but in a few weeks, they should be
ready, give or take a week or two! Hope this helps!!

Peppergirl.

Please check out my website. Click on below.

http://hotcuisine.esmartweb.com/