Old 29-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Pat

Default Grafting japanese maples

What kind of maple tree do you graft onto? What tree works the best?
Thanks for any help.

Pat
Old 30-07-2003, 01:42 AM

Acer palmatum is the normal grafting stock for Acer palmatum.

Old 30-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Marley1372

In most cases you have to graft the plant onto the same species for it to work,
though sometimes things can be grafted on stock from the same genus (euonymus
tree froms are grafted on burning bush stock) or sometimes from the same family
but a different genus. Japanese maples are usually grafted on plain old Acer
palmatum rootstock.

Toad
Old 31-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Pat

Thank you for your response. I knew to graft them onto Japanese
Maples and have seen some plain Acer Palmatum's for less than the
known culivars so wonderered if I could use them for my grafting (when
I get started, this is all new to me and am learning) Thank you very
much for your kind response!
Patti