Old 05-08-2003, 04:16 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default What to do about rain-depleted soil?

This is a general question that may be hard to answer without more details.
But let me try asking:

We in the Northeast have had near-record amounts of rainfall and lack of
sunshine in recent months (just today about two inches fell in a very short
time in my yard, according to my rain gauge) following a snowy winter. Many of
my plants are wan and pathetic (some leaf color is a few shades lighter than
normal, for instance). Obviously, nutrients have been washed out of the soil
during this time. My entire and too small supply of compost is just about used
up and I don't expect enough new compost to be ready for a couple of months.
So what (without benefit of a current soil test) would be best to add to the
plants overall (or at least to selected plantings)? Is there a quickie organic
tonic that could be sprayed on leaves or dug in to give my annuals and
perennials (many are designated as herbs and native plants and don't usually
need much in the way of fertile soil) a boost for the last couple of months of
the season?

I've been good about digging in balanced granular amendments, but it's a bit
late for those now. I've done a little watering in of fish and seaweed
emulsions to selected plantings, but gosh, I hate watering anything in right
now.....! FYI, my soil is mostly sandy clay, with good drainage, and when
there is sun, I get lots of it in most areas.

Thanks for any ideas....
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

Old 05-08-2003, 04:16 AM
SugarChile

You could try Maxicrop, a liquid seaweed preparation, used as a foliar
spray.
http://www.maxicrop.com/Default.htm
or
http://www.biconet.com/soil/maxicrop.html
or for sale at
http://www.greenfire.net/hot/F063.html

No affiliation, etc., but I've used it in the past with great results. I
was able to buy it locally at a natural foods store.

Cheers,
Sue (struggling with the same weather-FINALLY picked a ripe tomato tonight)

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message
This is a general question that may be hard to answer without more

details.
But let me try asking:

We in the Northeast have had near-record amounts of rainfall and lack of
sunshine in recent months Is there a quickie organic

Old 05-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Thanks, Cereoid and SugarChile. I appreciate the suggestions and have taken
various steps to follow up. And good luck on coping with similar weather,
which shows no sign of diminishing. (I'm not in a flood zone, so I'm counting
myself lucky in that respect, for sure; it's a mile downhill to the nearest
river.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa zSLOSH