Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 PM
coastalplainsnowman

Default post-emerge crabgrass killer question

I mentioned in a post a few weeks ago that despite putting down Scotts Halts
as directed this past spring, I've got more crabgrass this year earlier, and
more widespread, than last. Thanks for all your helpful advice on how to
more properly apply it next year.

I'd like to ask your opinion regarding Ortho Weed-B-Gone post emergent
Crabgrass concentrate. Has anyone had a noteworthy experiences with this
stuff, good or bad, or have any advice/warnings regarding it? I know to
stay away from my flower beds. My main question is whether it is going to
cause non permanent but noticeable browning of the lawn. I've used the
spray bottle version before and have experienced temporary browning in (as
the label warns) in the places I've used it. Since with the concentrate I
will be using a hose-end sprayer and hitting the entire lawn, I'm a little
concerned. I've got a primarily Kentucky Bluegrass and rye Long Island lawn.

Thanks again for any help.

Old 06-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Frank Logullo

"coastalplainsnowman" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

I'm using it but I do not like sprinkling too much arsenic on my lawn. The
organic arsenical will degrade down to arsenic trioxide and stay in lawn.
Even though the chance of the arsenic migrating into my food plants or well
is zilch, I like to err on the side of caution. Does not cause much more
browning than the crab grass itself. After spraying, I notice new crab
grass emerging. This is happening along my blacktop drive and I suspect the
pre-emergent I applied in the spring cannot stop these seeds which are
probably prompted by the hot driveway. At any rate, it is simpler to pull
out these new little guys.
Frank