Old 14-09-2004, 04:46 PM
K Barrett

Default Flowers don't emerge from sheath

I posted this on the OGD, but then Peter Croezen started up yammering about
some god forsaken place in South America, so I doubt anyone there will
answer me, they'll be too interested in watching the trainwreck that always
seems to follow Peter's posts.

So I come to rgo for your ideas.

For the past 2-3-4 years the inflorescences on my catts haven't been
emerging from their sheathes. The flowers opening inside the sheathe. This
has been getting worse and worse as time goes on. I turned over a new leaf
this January and have been taking better care of my orchids, being sure they
are watered, fertilized and disease free.

Yet the problem gets worse instead of better.

So what's up with that? What am I doing wrong? Too much light?

http://www.orchidtrek.com/sheath1.JPG and
http://www.orchidtrek.com/sheath2.JPG

Old 14-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Rob Halgren

You growing these under lights or in a greenhouse? And do you get this
on both bifoliate and unifoliate cattleyas?

No, I don't know if those two questions will reveal anything useful..
Ever listen to Car Talk on NPR? They know better than to ask too many
questions.

Rob

I posted this on the OGD, but then Peter Croezen started up yammering about
some god forsaken place in South America, so I doubt anyone there will
answer me, they'll be too interested in watching the trainwreck that always
seems to follow Peter's posts.

So I come to rgo for your ideas.

For the past 2-3-4 years the inflorescences on my catts haven't been
emerging from their sheathes. The flowers opening inside the sheathe. This
has been getting worse and worse as time goes on. I turned over a new leaf
this January and have been taking better care of my orchids, being sure they
are watered, fertilized and disease free.

Yet the problem gets worse instead of better.

So what's up with that? What am I doing wrong? Too much light?

http://www.orchidtrek.com/sheath1.JPG and
http://www.orchidtrek.com/sheath2.JPG

2a. See rule 1
more orchids, obtain more credit
LittlefrogFarm is open - e-mail me for a list )

Old 14-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Stephan Walther Larsen

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:46:29 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I posted this on the OGD, but then Peter Croezen started up yammering about
some god forsaken place in South America, so I doubt anyone there will

Dear Mr. Barret and other Orchid lovers.

feel free to post any and all orchid related pictures on my private
messageboard. Or use the features in anyways You see fit as long as it
is fairly Orchid related.

http://coppermine.premiumrx.dk/index.php?cat=13

My messageboard is used for the 3 big things i like.. my family, my
radiohobby and my Orchid hobby

I dont log IP, I dont log email and I will ban/kill spammers.

Registration is not nessesary to post a picture. However if you want
to comment on a picture a registration is needed. That is a process
that takes less than 1 minute.

Kind Regards

Stephan in Denmark
Kind Regards

Stephan in Denmark
Visit vb.premiumrx.dk for more info.

(I try to Google and I use Copernic Agent before I ask)
Old 14-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Susan Erickson

wrote:

I posted this on the OGD, but then Peter Croezen started up yammering about
some god forsaken place in South America, so I doubt anyone there will
answer me, they'll be too interested in watching the trainwreck that always
seems to follow Peter's posts.

So I come to rgo for your ideas.

For the past 2-3-4 years the inflorescences on my catts haven't been
emerging from their sheathes. The flowers opening inside the sheathe. This
has been getting worse and worse as time goes on. I turned over a new leaf
this January and have been taking better care of my orchids, being sure they
are watered, fertilized and disease free.

Yet the problem gets worse instead of better.

So what's up with that? What am I doing wrong? Too much light?

http://www.orchidtrek.com/sheath1.JPG and
http://www.orchidtrek.com/sheath2.JPG

I have a smaller catt that does that and I have not had it long
enough to see anything else from it, so I thought it was just
normal for the cross. We need some good ideas of how to prevent
it. Are they getting more light than they need? So that there is
not 'reach' in the spike growth?
SuE

Old 14-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Rob Halgren

I have a smaller catt that does that and I have not had it long
enough to see anything else from it, so I thought it was just
normal for the cross. We need some good ideas of how to prevent
it. Are they getting more light than they need? So that there is
not 'reach' in the spike growth?
SuE

I think that is probably different, and you might want to wait until
it blooms next year to get rid of it. I get the distinct impression
that if all your cattleyas did that over a period of several years, it
has to be cultural. And frustrating...

So, some more questions... Did they just put up a street light
outside your greenhouse? More traffic? New glazing on the windows? I
don't know why I think this, but I suspect that disrupting the dark
period might result in something similar. It doesn't take a whole lot
of light for a plant to think it is daytime (even if it isn't enough to
actually support photosynthesis). My guess for today (it will change
tomorrow) is too much light - at the wrong times, that is.

Old 14-09-2004, 10:29 PM
dd

In article , Rob Halgren
wrote:

[...]

I love a mystery as well as the next person, and I've spent a couple of
hours trying to research this in my orchid books, and there are
absolutely no mentions of this symptom. From what I've read, though, if
you had too much light, you'd see that reflected in the leaf
color/health. And the fact that the plants are setting sheaths says
that they are inclined to flower. Perhaps it is another environmental
condition: not enough light, pollution, degradation of potting media,
etc.

If ALL of your orchids are experiencing this malady, it might be an
idea to do an experiement in light, room environment, loaning a plant
to a fellow orchid grower to see what happens, etc. It certainly sounds
like a frustrating situation. If you were in my area, I'd be happy to
swap plants with you to see what happens.

Old 15-09-2004, 02:50 AM
K Barrett

I have wondered if they may be getting too much light. I have several that
the pseudobulbs wither prematurely.... OK I'll consider that. the leaves
are nice green, so I'm not sure that's all of the picture, but it definitely
supports my ideas too.

Old 15-09-2004, 02:54 AM
K Barrett

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message

So, some more questions... Did they just put up a street light
outside your greenhouse?

No, same as always.

More traffic?

No, same as always, I'm off the beaten track.

New glazing on the windows?

No Same old greenhouse.

don't know why I think this, but I suspect that disrupting the dark
period might result in something similar. It doesn't take a whole lot
of light for a plant to think it is daytime (even if it isn't enough to
actually support photosynthesis).

I think it may have something to do with light too. Susan mentioned too
much light and I hit 'send' before I remembered that i just bought a bunch
of catts from camela and their leavse were much lusher green than mine are,
mine really tend to yellow green. So I think it may be too much light. I
had considered gettting a better grade shade cloth, (Aluminet)

Thnaks Rob.

Old 15-09-2004, 03:00 AM
K Barrett

Thanks for your dedication in researching this problem, you truly are a
pal!!

So far its you, Susan and Rob that think it may be light related, and I'd
tend to concurr. Also you point out that I'd see it in my leaves, and I
recalled a recent purchase of plants from Carmela which are much lusher than
any of mine are, so I think that pretty much is heading me in that
direction.

You also hit the nail on the head by saying that I could err in not having
the freshest potting material in these plants, but they aren't the oldest
either... So I'll put that into the works along with Wendy's idea about
systemic pesticide. Both viable options to 'light'.

I'll lend one to a friend of mine and see if she can get it to bloom like
normal. She's a bettter grower than I am anyway. It would be a good excuse
to see what she can do with it.

Thanks for your help!