Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Mkwilso

Default Pumpkin Volunteers

Last year I carved pumpkins on a picnic table in my mother's back yard. The
seeds and pumpkin entrails fell on the rocks beneath the table. (Under the
table is a plastic liner or tarp covered with smooth large rocks and contained
with wooden edging). Up to that point I had been unsuccessful at getting
pumpkins to grow from seeds. This spring pumpkins grew, and the vines are
setting on several pumpkins (at this point green). I enjoy carving pumpkins,
and would like to duplicate this happy accident at my own house (on a larger
scale). I have never been able to grow things from seed. Please advise on
what I can do to the current plants to help them put on the most pumpkins
possible, and what are the important things to duplicate. I understand the
rocks will keep competing weeds out, but what else do I need to do to maximize
my chances for pumpkins next year. Thanks.